Holy floating fruit Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
This could be due to a number of things (i.e. stuck ferm etc)

But I have had a mead in the primary for over 3 months now. The fruit had dropped to the bottom and it looked as if it was trying to clear a bit so I thought all was on track. I came back this morning to find that all of the fruit has resurfaced and is floating once again. And no, I dont believe the carboy was disturbed at all... Is this normal?
Thanks
-Me

It can happen. As the mead naturally de-gasses, small bubbles of CO2 can form on the surface of the fruit and cause it to go buoyant. Nothing to worry about unless it starts to smell funky or the fruit bits get green and/or fuzzy.

This could be due to a number of things (i.e. stuck ferm etc)

But I have had a mead in the primary for over 3 months now. The fruit had dropped to the bottom and it looked as if it was trying to clear a bit so I thought all was on track. I came back this morning to find that all of the fruit has resurfaced and is floating once again. And no, I dont believe the carboy was disturbed at all... Is this normal?
Thanks
-Me

could be, if there is still a signifigant amount of Co2 in solution in it still, I could see this happening -

as an experement that illustrates this, try dropping a raisin in a bottle of crystal gyser sparkling mineral water - and watch as the raisin sinks to the bottom, only to float up to the top a few minutes later when some of the CO2 bubbles get locked into the nooks and crannys on it, then when they pop at the surface the raisin will sink again... over and over till the water is flat.

Cool, it looks as if the fruit *wants* to get a little brown on me, but Im not too concerned (yet).

This is my first experimental batch of mead - I think it might be the fact that I have a 5gal batch of Apfelwein going next to it and its jealous of all of its CO2 dispersal.
Thanks peeps!
-Me

Latest posts

Back