Holiday Spiced Porter Questions w/pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhume01

Reaction score
I posted this in wrong section so i'm re-posting it here.

This is what I'm brewing from the Brewmaster's Warehouse.

Crafty Gremlyn Brewing Holiday Spiced Porter
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer - All Grain

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/82fb95b0/crafty-gremlyn-brewing-holiday-spiced-porter

Today is week 3 of being in the primary fermenter. How long do I keep this in the primary fermenter before I move it to the secondary? How long do I keep it in the secondary? I looked inside the bucket and the yeast appears to be almost "climbing" the inside sides of the bucket. Is this normal? This is my first all grain brew as opposed to malt so just wanted to make sure all is going smooth.

Thanks in advance for any help.

DSCN0279.jpg

That's residue from krausen, not yeast climbing...
Close the lid, give it another week without opening (3-4 weeks total). Darker beers and higher gravity beers usually take a little longer. Keg or bottle. I, like most around here, don't use a secondary unless I'm dry hopping. Hope this helps.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Newbie question, do I need to add priming sugar when I get ready to bottle? And if I don't use a secondary is it ok to do my primary fermenting in the glass carboy I have instead of the plastic bucket?

Yes and yes - just be weary of how much you are putting in the carboy. Anticipate if the krausen will overflow your deadspace and into your airlock which would complicate matters. When in doubt, put on a blowoff tube.

Use priming calculators to figure our how much priming sugar to use prior to bottling.

** Edit - when priming you dissolve the sugar in water and boil the simple syrup for 10-15 to sterilize. If you are using a bottling bucket, put the sugar solution in the bottle of the bucket and rack your beer on top to help with mixing.

Back