Holiday party dishes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
What do you take when you go visiting during the holidays?

This year one of the things I’m making is Rumaki.
(now I just need a beer to pair it with)

Sometimes I bake them, sometimes deep fry, and sometimes pan fry ... could be made on the grill over charcoal too. . They’re great any of these ways.
I’ve used all three of these recipes and they’re all awesome.

Simple Rumaki
Often I simply use hickory smoked bacon, pinapple and chicken livers and no seasoning or marinade. They are rolled as in the recipe below and then pan fried til crispy and brown.

Rumaki was made popular by Trader Vic’s Restaurant in San Francisco and was fashionable in the 1950’s and 60’s.
RUMAKI - Trader Vic’s, San Francisco.
Servings: about 24
Ingredients:
¼ lb chicken livers
¼ cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
½ tsp. curry powder
1 Tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
12 canned *water* chestnuts, drained and halved horizontally
12 large slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
toothpicks

Soak toothpicks in water.
Cut the livers in ½ inch pieces.
Place the livers and halved chestnuts in a plastic bag set inside a deep bowl. Combine the soy sauce, brown sugar, oil, curry powder, and ginger; pour marinade over livers. Marinate chilled for 2 to 4 hours, turning the bag occasionally. Drain well. Preheat the broiler
Place 1 piece of bacon on work surface, put 1 piece of liver, and 1 chestnut in center and wrap as in rolling a cigarette. Start the wrap by rolling it up first in one direction, then change directions mid course, at a right angle; and complete rolling (so that the bacon completely encloses the filling), Secure with a wooden toothpicks from two directions.

Broil rumaki on rack of a broiler pan 2 inches from heat 6 to 7 minutes, turning once, until bacon is crisp and livers are cooked but just slightly pink inside (unwrap 1 to check for doneness).
Serve immediately.

The next recipe is made as the recipe above is but includes sherry and pineapple and omits the curry powder and water chestnuts. Fried em when I made em this way last time.

RUMAKI with sherry and pineapple
12 chicken livers
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup water
pineapple chunks, drained
12 long slices bacon, cut in half crosswise

125-71_rumaki_250.jpg

images

those look and sound really good. More people need to eat chicken livers, they're not just for fishing people. I think Ill make them when I go home for Christmas and report how they go over with the family.

Thanks

Ryan

Back