Hold onto your nuts Florida.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh big deal, it's only going to be a Cat 1, some wind, some rain, a little storm surge, meh. We lived through 2 Cat 4's in Norfolk now those are something to respect!

It's really coming down now where I live. Just lots and lots of water not much wind yet. Hope it stays that way. I've been through my share of storms, been here since 1978. Had to work in them too over the years before I retired serving and protecting the community.....

John

Stormageddon 2016 - Never Forget!

Meh, just more rain. If you're local, you know this is the weather we get from 3-4pm every day in the summer. The only difference for me is it started at noon today.

The panhandle is going to get the winds. The area south of the eye of the storm gets the biggest hit, and if that lines up with the incoming tide, then the surge can cause coastal flooding.

You selling T-Shirts! I'll buy one!

I hear you about the normal summer time rain. I'm just worried about some of the people along the Anclote river. Hope they don't flood like they did last August. I am high and dry so I should be fine.... Stay dry Andrew!

John

You selling T-Shirts! I'll buy one!

I hear you about the normal summer time rain. I'm just worried about some of the people along the Anclote river. Hope they don't flood like they did last August. I am high and dry so I should be fine.... Stay dry Andrew!

John

I've lived in this house since 2001 and I've never seen so much as a standing puddle on my property John. I'm high and dry.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you buy property along a river, or below sea level (NOLA), you are rolling the dice.

Yes sir, they take their chances. I would never do that either. But I have one friend that lives along the river and one that lives right on the gulf. His house is 20 feet from the water in Pasco. I think he might be in for it..... Your not insensitive. You just have common sense! Protect those cool pepper plants you have anyway!

John

We are really going to get pounded with rain which is the last thing this area needs. I think Steinhatchee got something like 13 inches of rain 2 or 3 weeks ago and they just dried out from that.

The smart folks that live in areas that get hurricanes have a generator and supplies, we always did and our house wasn't in a flood plane. I was really just trying to add a little levity with my earlier post.

In all seriousness, if anyone here is in the path, be safe and leave if necessary, good luck.

Well that was an interesting several minutes. My wife was coming home on US 19, where the tornado was reported to be heading and right where she was going to be traveling. I called her and luckily she was already past that point and almost home.

Just want to say hope all you fellow brewers North of me are prepared for this thing. Even a cat 1 can be a pita. So be careful and be safe! :mug:

John

Well that was an interesting several minutes. My wife was coming home on US 19, where the tornado was reported to be heading and right where she was going to be traveling. I called her and luckily she was already past that point and almost home.

Just want to say hope all you fellow brewers North of me are prepared for this thing. Even a cat 1 can be a pita. So be careful and be safe! :mug:

John

Good to hear. I "was" going to reply "Yeah, they are calling it Hermine." but opted out given the serious nature of such a thing.

I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you buy property along a river, or below sea level (NOLA), you are rolling the dice.

For the record, the flooding in New Orleans during Katrina was due to the federal levee engineering failures and not inundation from rain/storm surge (though the recent flooding around Baton Rouge, Laplace, etc was).

But yeah, it is important to be conscious of elevations and flood risk wherever you live, but particularly down here.

edit: Glad your wife is OK. Tornadoes are a nasty part of these storms.

For the record, the flooding in New Orleans during Katrina was due to the federal levee engineering failures and not inundation from rain/storm surge (though the recent flooding around Baton Rouge, Laplace, etc was).

But yeah, it is important to be conscious of elevations and flood risk wherever you live, but particularly down here.

edit: Glad your wife is OK. Tornadoes are a nasty part of these storms.

Actually I didn't post that quote, I was answering it. Yeah you guys down in New Orleans had a whole different issue. Man was that terrible. I saw you just had another bout with some flooding recently in Baton Rouge too. Those levees are subject to failure and hopefully they get that taken care of. Thanks I'm glad she is ok too! :mug:

John

That was me. The average elevation of the city of New Orleans is below sea level. My point was that if you live next to the sea, and your home is below sea level, you've taken a gamble that I wouldn't.

Hunkered down and riding out the storm. REO Speedwagon and The Doors songs come to mind, but I like this one better. For your late nite storm soundrack, Loving Spoonful.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-8bVpZYEfc[/ame]

Well the storm blew out a large screen panel on my lanai and peeled back three roof shingles. Nothing I can't fix. I'll take it, there will be a lot of people that will fare much worse, so I am not complaining. We are supposed to get some more heavy bands of rain and wind over night so hopefully the brunt of it has passed. Be safe out there those north of me!

John

Oh big deal, it's only going to be a Cat 1, some wind, some rain, a little storm surge, meh. We lived through 2 Cat 4's in Norfolk now those are something to respect!

Sometimes a tropical storm can be devistating, especially if it is enormous. Be safe everyone.

I spent 3 weeks in Gulfport Mississippi after Katrina helping my family, and living on a boat. My brother-in-law had 9 feet of water in his single story home. Basically everything from the main railroad tracks all the way to the beach was just gone, and all the towns from there to Louisansa suffered the same fate.

I spent 3 weeks in Gulfport Mississippi after Katrina helping my family, and living on a boat. My brother-in-law had 9 feet of water in his single story home. Basically everything from the main railroad tracks all the way to the beach was just gone, and all the towns from there to Louisansa suffered the same fate.

Back