Hofbräuhaus Original Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessee

Reaction score
Does anyone know an all grain clone recipe for Hofbräuhaus Original beer? I've been looking for one for a while now and can't find an all grain of it.

I'd like to know the composition of those ingredients kits. I have a clone recipe (sort of) but it's not dead on, maybe it can't be dead on as its something in their technique. But it's nice to compare ingredients.

Thanks for the links. I'll probably use one of those to try the recipe out for a trial run.

I'd like to know the composition of those ingredients kits. I have a clone recipe (sort of) but it's not dead on, maybe it can't be dead on as its something in their technique. But it's nice to compare ingredients.

Do you have the recipe to that recipe?

Thanks for the links. I'll probably use one of those to try the recipe out for a trial run.

Do you have the recipe to that recipe?

This is the recipe I've come up with so far. Its close but like I said its not exact. But the decoction mash is key to coming close I think.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.46 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 3.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.1 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs 5.6 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 97.1 %
4.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.9 %
0.46 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 21.2 IBUs
0.28 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 4 0.0 IBUs
0.6 pkg German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 Yeast 5 -

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Double
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 10.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 22.45 qt of water at 125.9 F 122.0 F 35 min
Saccharification Decoct 7.07 qt of mash and boil it 147.0 F 20 min
Saccharification Decoct 3.52 qt of mash and boil it 156.0 F 20 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.80 gal water at 168.0 F

I know this thread is Old with a capital O, but it's the closest to the topic I have some info on.

I recently discovered Hofbrau Original, by recommendation of another shopper in the beer aisle. I like the bottle size, and have been keeping and de-labeling them. On a whim I went to their website, and with the help of google translate figured out where to email them about "Other" issues. I told them I was a homebrewer having trouble getting one of the three labels off their bottles.

Damn if I didn't get an immediate response. The respondent copied four other employees, and gave me recipe info, although they were unsure about the labels. I'll copy the correspondence below, but withhold all the email addresses. Contact me if you want them.

American homebrewer has discovered your beer - And I love it. Hello, I live in San Diego California, and I usually drink the IPA we brew here, but I recently found your Hofbrau Munchen in my favorite grocery and now only drink Hofbrau Munchen. What yeast do you use? And is it possible to adjust the glue process on the rear label? It is more difficult to remove than the front and neck labels. Thank you so much for this excellent beer

Dear Mr. Lutes,
thank you very much for your email. We are glad to hear, that you enjoy our beers that much.
We work with local ingredients like malt from regional farmers from Bavaria, water from our own well, hops from the nearby “Hallertau”.
The yeast for our bottom-fermented lager beers is Frisinga-TUM 34/70®. The yeast for our top fermented wheat beers is Luna Bavaria TUM 127. Hope, this helps?
I have forwarded your comments on our etiquettes glue to the technical department.
Keep care and stay healthy.
With best regards
Stefan Hempl

Dear Mr. Lutes,
most of your questions have been answered by Stefan.
Unfortunately I haven’t got any idea about the reason, why back labels should stick more resistant than the other ones.
They are applicated at the same moment, using the same glue at the same machine.
Actually, I didn’t make such an attempt until now, so I’ve got a duty for tonight 😊.
Emty-handed, I hope you’ll enjoy our beer even without the ability to peel off the back labels.
Keep care and stay healthy.
With best regards
Rolf Dummert

Back