Hoegaarden = very disappointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up some Hoegaarden for Easter since its finally hot out around here. Man am I disappointed! This beer has definiteloy changed in the last few years. My cousin bought MGD 64 with lemonade in it and I can literally barely tell the difference. I actually think the MGD is better!

I'm very sad. I used to love this beer :(

Unfortunately, I never got to try this brew until somewhat recently (within the last year). I can say that when I had it, I dumped it. No lies. I've only ever dumped 2 brews in my life and this was one.

Honestly, I almost dumped them also. It's a real shame because Hoegaarden used to be a great beer and the best of its style. Now its watery piss. Budwieser is probably two times better.

Honestly, I almost dumped them also. It's a real shame because Hoegaarden used to be a great beer and the best of its style. Now its watery piss. Budwieser is probably two times better.

I don't think Hoegaarden has changed a bit. It tastes the same to me.

Are you sure it's the beer that has changed, and not your palate? :D

I whole heartedly DISAGREE with the OP. I drank a Hoegaarden the other night and still remains the same amazing beer (for its style) it has always been. I love a 50/50 mix of Lindeman's Framboise Lambic & Hoegaarden.... hence RoseGaarden.

You haven't noticed any change in the body? I was serious when I said I compared it to the MGD Lemonade. Other than the hint of lemon, I couldn't find much of a difference.

I used to drink Hoegaarden a lot, it was one of my favorite brands about 4 years ago. Admittedly, it's probably been a year or two since I've had it, but I don't see how I could have forgotten that much about it that I completely don't like it anymore. Hell, it was free even! I bought a ton of beer and realized when I checked the receipt that they forgot to ring it up because I didn't have them pack it in the same box as the other stuff since I was drinking it today. Even free, I was disappointed.

I would love to have a blind taste test of Hoegaarden pre and post InBev takeover. It's not one of my favorites but I did enjoy it at the beer garden at Bohemian Hall in Queens in the summers.

I actually just had some the other day, not my favorite but i definitely preferred it to blue moon

I used to drink Hoegarden a lot, haven't had it in a few years. I had a day home with the youngest recently and we went out for mini-golf and pizza. I ordered a Hoegarden and it didn't even seem like the same beer.

I have found several beers that tast different to me lately. Hoegaarden is one of them. I thought it was "ok" when I first tasted it, but I actually prefer Blue Moon or Celis White (One of them is actually a real Belgian Wit style beer...).

I've heard that Pierre Celis has said that chamomile is a secret ingredient in his original beer. Maybe that's what I didn't care for in Hoegaarden. I mean, it was ok, but it was Celis White that really got me hooked on the style. And I've had a few very tasty ones. Allagash White is another very nice Belgian Wit.

Allagash and Ommegang make my favorite versions of the style right now. Brooklyn also makes a great one, but you can only get it at their brewery on tap and you can't leave with it.

I find Unibrue's Blanche de Chambly preferrable to Hoegarden. I last had Hoegarden about a year ago and didn't especially enjoy it. Don't forget that the style is an early maturing style and does not typically age well. I'm assuming that I had an older sample.

Back