Hoegaarden to close

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
anyone else see this:

HOEGAARDEN TO CLOSE
Brewing giant brewer InBev announced today that it would close
Belgium's
famous Hoegaarden brewery, long associated with classic "white beer."
InBev,
based in nearby Leuven and the largest beer producer in the world, said
belt
tightening would eliminate 232 jobs. Production of Hoegaarden Grand Cru
and
other beers will move to InBev's Jupille brewery in the south of
Belgium,
although the storage and bottling facilities will remain open. Staff at
the
Hoegaarden brewery walked off the job after hearing the news on
Wednesday,
broadcaster VRT reported.
http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002780.php

sad, sad, sad :(

Drag...

Bummer to see great beers disappear...like Celis and Rodenbach.

I suddenly feel like I need to buy a warehouse and fill it with Cantillon.

yea, but the beer will change. Shiner got a new brewmaster this year after the old one retired. been there some 25-20 years i think? the seasonals aren't the same this year. maybe just a fluke, but maybe not......

hey, i'm outta work and would work my ass off! i even applied at Saint Arnold's the other day for the bottline lead man. hey, it's a foot in the door????? i'm just doing everything i can to not go back to work in a stink'n refinery! i hate those damn things :^(

HOEGAARDEN TO CLOSE

That's sad news. Decent breweries (and pubs) are always closing over here, and being replaced / bought out by the big chain sh%te outfits that just produce "Smoothflow" no-character rubbish (I hesitate to use the term "ale"). :mad:

Oh man, you're really depressing me! :( This is one of my home county breweries.

There is a CAMRA campaign to save the brewery...not that it will beat the big guns at Fuller's...no soul you see, it's just about making big bucks not good traditional local beer! :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://www.savegales.org.uk/

it does suck. that's brewing history, culture, and class. FIGHT THE POWER!

didn't mean to bum you out like that.....i drink a brew for you.....

No worries DeRoux....it's life I suppose, all about making money. It's sad to see a little bit of history disappear. Unfortunatley, closure of the brewery may also mean that some of the 111 pubs it owns may turn into housing development projects. That's what I find really sad, because these small inns are part of the UK's appeal to me. A lot of "plastic pubs" (as I call them) are opening over here, which are very tacky nasty loud places where most of the yobs go to get very drunk and start fights (a disease currently spreading across the UK's cities and towns)...I hate them, and would much rather sit in an old quiet inn and sup beer. If these traditional pubs disappear, them I'm emigrating!

better not come here! there's more "plastic" pub's then ever. there's one little place in Houston (ww.gingermanpub.com) that's, what i would assume, to be like an old English pub. it's right by Rice University, so it doesn't draw the wild, loud crowd. can sit, read a book, smoke a cigar in peace. very nice.

maybe one day i'll get to sup a beer in the real thing, before there bowled over for some flat's!

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey, i'm outta work and would work my ass off! i even applied at Saint Arnold's the other day for the bottline lead man. hey, it's a foot in the door????? i'm just doing everything i can to not go back to work in a stink'n refinery! i hate those damn things :^(

St.Arnolds is hiring???? Man, I want that job.

Do did it not close or has it been sold to someone else?

I just had one in Philadelphia this past weekend. Maybe it was a different spelling or something.

I wanted to ask about the finish. There was something there I couldn't identify, maybe mint or something. At the risk of sounding bad, like mouthwash but not in a bad way, just different.

Anyone familiar?

Do did it not close or has it been sold to someone else?

I just had one in Philadelphia this past weekend. Maybe it was a different spelling or something.

I wanted to ask about the finish. There was something there I couldn't identify, maybe mint or something. At the risk of sounding bad, like mouthwash but not in a bad way, just different.

Anyone familiar?

ya dug up an old ass thread...they tried to move production to Jupille in '06. IIRC there was a brief period of limited availability while they worked out the kinks and abandoned the move, but it's been avail pretty much non-stop otherwise.

effin' inbev. *sigh*...guess i'll have to perfect that clone before the taste changes...

no worries

One more example of the failures of corporations. In private hands, they probably would have made enough money to employ several hundred people and make a decent profit. Now they are gone.

When profit is the #1 motivator in business, then product cannot be. Employees are a distant 3rd place, and culture and community are forgotten words.

One more example of the failures of corporations. In private hands, they probably would have made enough money to employ several hundred people and make a decent profit. Now they are gone.

When profit is the #1 motivator in business, then product cannot be. Employees are a distant 3rd place, and culture and community are forgotten words.

..but they wound up reinvesting in the orig brewery, kept production there and it didn't go away. I'm confused unless you're on a different topic than Hoegaarden.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back