Hockey, unpopular among fellow homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jobbing.com Arena is one of my favorite arenas. The area right outside (Westgate) is chalked full of bars, music, and people...that was an awesome trip.

bjohnson29 said:
Jobbing.com Arena is one of my favorite arenas. The area right outside (Westgate) is chalked full of bars, music, and people...that was an awesome trip.

Westgate used to be a good time. Sucks that someone got shot at Bar Louies when it was open, and they also closed fox sports grill. I only go to yard house when I'm there because the rest are "clubs" and bars full of retards that get egotistical with the smallest amount of alcohol in their system. Gordon Biersch was another stop, but i moved on from there long before I left az.

ScootersAle said:
Yea, the bandwagoners @ caps games are pretty saddening. It is usually pretty easy to tell the difference....

I sat in front of 4 guys who were asking when "halftime" was & who had no idea there were 3 periods, not 4 quarters. I also hate the people who will yell "Shoot it!" every time a Cap touches the puck in the zone, regardless of whether or not a shot makes sense at that moment.

Also, whether or not Green is too injury prone or you like him or want him to be traded, it's rather low to make fun of people for sitting out with concussions. No one makes fun of David Perron for missing almost all of last season.

Agreed, and it doesnt look like he's coming back anytime soon...pretty sad, the kid had unreal potential.

Caps fans should remember Brian Pothier, who was run into the boards in what looked like a very normal hit. He seemed fine until he got into the locker room and had no idea where he was. Partially lost sight in both eyes, and felt the effects 2 yrs~ later. Thankfully he was able to come back.

Of course the 'golden boy' Sid the kid, also still having issues from a concussion.

Concussions are f'ing scary.

As for DC fans, I'd say at least 50% (maybe even as high as 80%) of all fans @ a Nats, Skins, Wizards, and now Caps games just want to be seen there and could care less about the actual game. DC politics at its best.

Every team has its fair share of bandwagonners. They're annoying.

Seb said:
Every team has its fair share of bandwagonners. They're annoying.

Everyone starts somewhere. It's not so annoying when people join the bandwagon as when they fall off of it. The die-easies. I didn't really get into hockey until my son was born 7 years ago. I didnt even have a tv plugged in before that. So yeah I jumped on the Sid/Geno/Fluerry bandwagon.

Yea, the bandwagoners @ caps games are pretty saddening. It is usually pretty easy to tell the difference, but at least the team is getting more publicity.

I'll agree Green may need to go and probably Semin too, but not Schultz. Erskine should go before Schultz, although Erskine stepped up his game last season, I doubt it will continue. I'm glad they paid Laich, he is a perfect example of why NHL > NFL, and he can actually play.

Tbh, DC's economy doesn't need help from anyone ;)

Haha I am in utter shock of this post. Honestly you sound like a bandwager/fair weather fan yourself. Do you watch caps hockey at all? Let Green, the best offensive defender in the league go? Let a 40 goal scorer on THE SECOND LINE go? Any other team Semin would be the star. And Shultz...are you kidding me? That guy is just an oxygen thief at this point. He is huge, but doesn't hit, doesn't clear the puck EVER, and loses every single footrace to the puck. And Erskine? The hardest working, most reliable cap last season deserves to go before the dumb slow ogre Shultz. I would keep DJ king before I kept Shultz. And the Laich thing, I love the man, but he does NOT deserve that money one bit. He is a good grinder but does NOT deserve 30 goal scorer money...he is replacable. It screwed over Alzner on Cap room and the staple of our defense got shafted with a ****ty contract because of Laich

This thread seems to have more posts about Caps than any other team... I'm perfectly fine with that.

Haha I am in utter shock of this post. Honestly you sound like a bandwager/fair weather fan yourself. Do you watch caps hockey at all? Let Green, the best offensive defender in the league go? Let a 40 goal scorer on THE SECOND LINE go? Any other team Semin would be the star. And Shultz...are you kidding me? That guy is just an oxygen thief at this point. He is huge, but doesn't hit, doesn't clear the puck EVER, and loses every single footrace to the puck. And Erskine? The hardest working, most reliable cap last season deserves to go before the dumb slow ogre Shultz. I would keep DJ king before I kept Shultz. And the Laich thing, I love the man, but he does NOT deserve that money one bit. He is a good grinder but does NOT deserve 30 goal scorer money...he is replacable. It screwed over Alzner on Cap room and the staple of our defense got shafted with a ****ty contract because of Laich

I never said anything about how good or bad Green and Semin are. They are both great players, and Semin (imho) is better than Ovie on pure skill. On paper the Caps are the most skilled team in the NHL (ok, I'm bias but on paper they have a lot of skill), how many Cups do they have? How many playoff series have they won?

Do I want them to go? No, but I said they both could go, because of the value we could get for them. Semin could care less about hockey, no matter how skilled he is, he doesn't care. Green is great, but could we trade him for better value? We won't be able to pay all these guys. Not to mention Semin could be gone after this season and we get nothing for him.

DJ King is a role player, not someone that plays all game nor should he suit up for every game. Like I said, Erskine had a great season last year. Since I have watched quite a few games over the years, I know that this season is not normal for him. I think Schultz is better. Do I think Schultz is the best? Nope, and he does some pretty stupid ass things. If Erskine plays this season like he did last, next year around this time you'll probably hear a different response from me on this topic. Either way they both suck compared to Carlson + Alzner.

I'll agree that Laich got over paid, but I'm glad they did it. He is exactly what this teams more of. Grit. And I'm very sad to see Brads go, but can't pay them all.

I have a bad feeling that the Caps will have a similar season that they've had the last few years and something needs to change. Then we'll be in the same spot, out in the 1st or 2nd round and asking ourselves, if we have so much talent why can't we win in the playoffs? Sometimes in hockey good players need to go else where so others can step up.

All right scooter, I had you all wrong! As a 22 year old whenever anyone realizes I am a caps fan, they automatically think I am a bandwagoner. Typically they were caps fans 20 years ago, but don't follow them much recently (ironic) and just spout whatever random facts and opinions they hear on local radio or occasional ESPN.

I am glad we are both true fans, just with differing opinions :mug:

All right scooter, I had you all wrong! As a 22 year old whenever anyone realizes I am a caps fan, they automatically think I am a bandwagoner. Typically they were caps fans 20 years ago, but don't follow them much recently (ironic) and just spout whatever random facts and opinions they hear on local radio or occasional ESPN.

I am glad we are both true fans, just with differing opinions :mug:

I'm a couple years older, but I get what you mean. Growing up Dale Hunter was my guy, had posters, jerseys, the whole 9 yards. But I always heard about the glory years in the early 80s. They sucked in the 80s and no one wanted to admit it. They sucked in the early 90s too. I honestly think some of the old time fans would rather they sucked again and go back to no one talking about the caps.

That ESPN commercial with Varly and Ovie, is classic. That is about all I'll watch hockey related on that channel. Their 'expert' Barry Melrose always has a thing for Sid/The Pens, and very anti-caps/ovie. Maybe there is some bias there, but all he did was coach the great one, and not win a cup.

I could seriously talk about the caps/hockey all day... :mug:

Rangers fan born and raised...Ironic since I grew up in central NJ.

In fact my son wore a rangers onesie home from the hospital when he was born. Still dn't know how I got my wife to agree to that one.

Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and now Wade Belak, this is getting scary.

The NHL has more deaths in 5 months than the WWE has in 1 year, this isn't normal.

Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and now Wade Belak, this is getting scary.

The NHL has more deaths in 5 months than the WWE has in 1 year, this isn't normal.

Yeah, that really sucks.

Crosby to make an announcement tomorrow at a press conference.
I don't really like Crosby at all, but I sure hope it is good news.
It would be a shame to not be able to hate him while he tore up the NHL (and punched some balls)

He will be back. Awesome sport but the league is kinda bush at the moment. I am happy to at least have one star back... Malkin. Crosby can take his time if needed.

HOLY ****!

I knew several of the players that were supposedly on that plane!

Ruslan Salei played last year for Detroit, Brad McCrimmon was an asst. coach for Detroit, Pavel Demitra. Stefan Liv was supposed to be Detroit's young and future goalie!

Tragic news indeed.

Sad indeed, I work for the panthers and have had set real combos with the KLM boys from fla, salei, scrachkins(sp) koulikov... Prayers out for everyone's familys

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I work for a sports news channel and it was one of the busiest and emotional days I've ever had there.

Couldn't believe it when I heard the news this morning at 9, when we looked at the roster of the team and saw Demitra's name it felt so wrong...

Many of the players were in their 20s, it's awful.

Apparently, the mother of one of the players who died in the accident died from an heart attack upon hearing the news.

Ugh.

RIP.

A) Terrible off season indeed.
B) Grew up in a hockey household, both my brother & I played all over the eastern USA & southern Ontario in AAA as kids. Lifelong Pittsburgh resident so naturally a Pens fan.
C) For those who have sat at games in Pittsburgh & DC, I'm curious to who has the worst bandwagon fans?

I've had to explain icing to season ticket holders....
Gary Roberts & Ulf Samuelsson were in town for some reason so they were in Mario's box, both were announced to the crowd & the cheers for Gary were 10x louder than Ulf's.
Are there any Langway/Gartner/Iafrate/Hunter/Stevens jerseys at Caps games?
I see very little Francis/Stevens/Coffey/Mullen jerseys at Pens games, it's quite sad, really.

Carry on.

mxracer652 said:
A) Terrible off season indeed.
B) Grew up in a hockey household, both my brother & I played all over the eastern USA & southern Ontario in AAA as kids. Lifelong Pittsburgh resident so naturally a Pens fan.
C) For those who have sat at games in Pittsburgh & DC, I'm curious to who has the worst bandwagon fans?

I've had to explain icing to season ticket holders....
Gary Roberts & Ulf Samuelsson were in town for some reason so they were in Mario's box, both were announced to the crowd & the cheers for Gary were 10x louder than Ulf's.
Are there any Langway/Gartner/Iafrate/Hunter/Stevens jerseys at Caps games?
I see very little Francis/Stevens/Coffey/Mullen jerseys at Pens games, it's quite sad, really.

Carry on.

I don't know man I see those old jerseys around Pittsburgh on a regular basis. I won't argue that there are a lot of bandwagon fans. I think that's everywhere tho. Pittsburgh almost lost the team. Sid saved the franchise really. Attendance was bad before him. I ain't gonna lie. There are a lot of good and educated fans in Pittsburgh. A lot of can't afford to go to the games. But yeah there are a lot here that will only cheer on sunny days. Sry.

Back