Hobgoblin II question............

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
This is what I made (thanks to Orfy)

Brew Type: Extract
Style: English Old Ale
Batch Size: 22.73 L Boil Volume: 11.04 L
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Steep Specialty Grains
204g Cara-Pila/Dextrine Grain
180g Caramel/Crystal Malt 60l
108g Chocolate Malt
-- add water to achieve boil volume of 11.04L
Start Boil
4.18Kg Pale LME
30g Styrian Goldings 60min (first wort hop)
30g Fuggles 60min (first wort hop)
30g Styrian Goldings at 30 minutes
30g Fuggles at 30 minutes
1 tsp Irish Moss at 55 minutes
15g Styrian Goldings at 60 minutes (Aroma Hop-Steep)
15g Fuggles at 60 minutes (Aroma Hop-Steep)
--cool to fermentation temp
--add water as needed to achieve 22.73L
--Syphon to primary and aerate
Add ingredients to fermenter
1 package of Nottingham yeast - ale (I Used WYEAST 1332 - Northwest and made a starter instead)
OG - 1.052 (yay!)
Batch Vol. 22.73L

Okay so this is what i did and it smells amazing... it has been in Primary for about 8 days then i racked to second... it has been in secondary for 2.5 weeks now and is still bubbling and not clearing yet at all!
That is my question... why is it not done yet and clearing... I know I`m just gonna RDWAHAHB... wait longer, but thought maybe some more experienced folks would have any insight into this recipe and the changes I made to it....

Cheers,

:mug:

my OG reading of 1.052 was close enough for the likes of me, it was supposed to be more like 1.056 according to the recipe...

I decided to steal a flask of it just now and test gravity (first time since brew day 3.5 weeks ago) and it is 1.016... the estimated FG in the recipe is 1.013.

So should I be looking for a FG of closer to 1.009 now since my OG was 4 points lower than the recipe?

p.s. i drank the sample and it is so, so good... :D like it could be chilled and drank already, lol. tastes very close to hobgoblin already... im happy!!!!

thanks Orfy! ;)

You should have checked the gravity before racking to secondary, sounds like you may have transferred a little too soon. I don't rack it until I'm satisfied I've reached my FG or damn close. That might explain the long time it took in secondary.

At this point you probably aren't going to drop much further, but I would wait until it starts to clear and pretty much stops bubbling. If your gravity is the same in a week, it's probably gone as far as it will go. Sounds like you're happy with it so no real harm done, just offering a suggestion regarding the long secondary.

For reference, my stout is bubbling 3 weeks after I pitched the yeast, it is probably outgassing, but my hydro readings have been steady for 2 weeks, so I will bottle this weekend. Since your recipe is extract (and that is what I brew as well) you may not hit your target FG depending what your LME has in it (ie. caramel/crystal malt has some unfermentables in it), so again, depending on what is in the LME; you may, or may not hit the estimated FG. Remember though, it is an estimated FG, and more importantly, I AM NO EXPERT!!!

Back