Hmm.. recipe confusion? Yes, indeed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbfan101

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have never tried creating a recipe before, so I have scanned over probably a hundred different recipes to try to pull together something just for fun. Can you guys tell me if this looks okay to you? If not, what would you recommend?

Style: IPA
Ingrediants:
-5 lbs 2-row pale malt
-3 lbs light DME
-2 lbs amber DME
-8 oz crystal 20L

According to BeerSmith, this would yeild:
Est. OG: 1.070
Color: 8.5 SRM
Est. ABV: 6.9%

Other Information:
This is a partial mash, and the batch size is 5 gallons. I'll be adding to the fermenter. Also, I am probably going to use Galena for bittering, and use centennial and cascades for flavor and aroma. The yeast I will most likely use(through recommendation) is Wyeast 1056.

Again, this was just me gathering ingredients from the web. I haven't used beersmith to make a recipe before,so there might be some pretty big flaws that went unnoticed when putting this together!

Thanks a lot,

Pat

For what you listed and your numbers, this is what ya want...

4.33 lbs 2 row pale
.61 lbs crtstal 20L
2.73 lbs light dry
2.43 Amber dry

.80 oz Galena @ 60
.80 oz Centennial @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 15
.80 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Centennial @ 0

58.5 IBU's
Looks okay to me, never did a partial before but the color looks good..

Wow, thanks! How is it that you got your number more precise? Is it something I have done incorrectly in BeerSmith?

Are you using a 5 gallon cooler mash tun? Why not just do a 3 gallon batch of all grain? The results will be rewarding.

heres an IPA recipe ive done before, pretty basic but the hops are what make it...be creative and have at her.. The color is beautiful on this..

4.27 lbs Pale 2 row
2.45 lbs Vienna
1.17 lbs Crystal 40L

I like to add Amarillo, cascade, centennial and dry hop with citra

7.89 lbs total grain bill, 3 gallon batch

Wow, thanks! How is it that you got your number more precise? Is it something I have done incorrectly in BeerSmith?

What did ya use as efficancy %? Could be equipment too, I assume ya had a 5 gallon mash tun and not BIAB. Once ya start adding grains and hops to beersmith, make sure your equipment is correct, ya can start tweeking it with the beer style and the green and red bars below the style guideline comparsion chart.. If ya click on those bars ya can adjust it accordinly.

What did ya use as efficancy %? Could be equipment too, I assume ya had a 5 gallon mash tun and not BIAB. Once ya start adding grains and hops to beersmith, make sure your equipment is correct, ya can start tweeking it with the beer style and the green and red bars below the style guideline comparsion chart.. If ya click on those bars ya can adjust it accordinly.

Ahh, I see that you're correct. For some reason, I assumed(rather stupidly) that my equipment setup was default when selected that I was doing a partial mash. The efficiency was 75%

Ahh, I see that you're correct. For some reason, I assumed(rather stupidly) that my equipment setup was default when selected that I was doing a partial mash. The efficiency was 75%

Beersmith is a great program, and once ya play with it for a while its a great tool and fairly easy to use.. Took me a few brews to actually understand it myself. It will get easier, and make brewing more fun...if thats possible...lol

Cheers, let us know how it turns out...with pics of the pour:)

Back