HLT "Cooler" Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim4065

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of a modified Brew Ladder for 5 gallon batches. What I want to do is use a single Bayou Classic burner on a low BK, then pump up to a "high mount" 30? quart cooler HLT. Gravity from there through the MLT and back to the BK. The drill driven pump might also be pressed into service to force cold water through the IC when it's too cold to leave the house hoses connected.

I know - too much information. My question is: Does anyone have experience using one of these small coolers and can you recommend the appropriate fittings? I don't really care about "QD" since they seem to be "Leak-O-Matics". What I'd like to do is to plumb the whole thing with reinforced silicon hoses and numerous ball valves.

I'm hoping to avoid pulling the trigger on the "Top Tier" system by Blichman. It's beautiful, but too much money at this time. Comments?

I have a 100qt E-HLT... As far as fittings, I am using as bastardized version of BobbyM's No Leak bulkhead design... Apparently I have some sort of leak gremlin myself, but I can usually seal it up.... And I am guessing I am the exception to the rule in this case...

As far as QD's being leak-o-matics, that isn't the rule... I know plenty of people with varying type of QD's work just fine...

+1 on silicone hose and numerous ball valves though....

I built one following the directions in this article:

E-HLT

Although, I used a different cooler and mounted the element in the side rather than the bottom.

Back