Hit FG in 2 Days? What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
On Sunday I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Biermuncher's Kona Fire Rock Clone hitting all the correct numbers, and pitched to packets of S-04 that was properly hydrated. My OG was a little high 1.058 (it was supposed to be 1.053) oh well no big deal. Well I just pulled a sample to check the gravity and its already at 1.014, which is the supposed FG. I still want to dry hop this one a bit but is it too soon to cold crash?

This isn't the first beer that has fermented down to the prescribed FG within a few days. Is this a good or bad thing? When I let the previous batches sit in primary well after hitting the FG they end up way too low and end up tasting drier than I'd like. Any thoughts?

It's not a bad thing. Go ahead and cold crash it.

Fast fermentation and low FG both point to a high percentage of short-chain sugars. You might be mashing at a lower temperature than you think.

You might be mashing at a lower temperature than you think.

I kinda thought that. When doughing in my mash tun ate up more heat than I thought and I had to do a mini decoction to get the temp back up to 154. The only problem now is that I have one corney too many in the fridge to fit the sankey fermenter.........anyone wanna come help me empty it?:drunk:

Back