History of Home Brewing Legalization in the U.S. (seeking info)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a good write up on the history of legalization of home brewing in the United States? I am familiar with prohibition and what surrounded that, but less familiar with HR 1337, Carter's involvement, and the momentum that managed to get things passed. It would be great to read up on it more.

Thanks!

Does anyone know where I can find a good write up on the history of legalization of home brewing in the United States? I am familiar with prohibition and what surrounded that, but less familiar with HR 1337, Carter's involvement, and the momentum that managed to get things passed. It would be great to read up on it more.

Thanks!

I searched on Jimmy Carter Homebrewing and found a lot of information. One surprise was that JC was not really a big proponent, but that a state legislator pushed the bill allowing beer to be brewed at home along with wine.

Odd, I had searched on that and found a lot of cursory information, but nothing in depth that discussed the politics of the time, how and why it got through, background information on the major players, state of illegal home brewing at the time, etc...

Presidents don't pass legislation Congress does. The bill legalizing homebrewing just happened to pass while Carter was President so it was his name on the signing. President Carter had no personal involvement with the legislation AFAIK.

It was the omission of homebrewing in the legislation passed after Prohibition permitting the home fermentation of alcohol that made homebrewing "illegal". Wine was specifically mentioned but beer was left out. The 1978 bill essentially fixed the earlier omission. While the homebrewing of beer was technically "illegal" during the post-Prohibition to 1978 era I doubt the issue was ever pressed by most law enforcement agencies. The big problem with the illegal technicality is that manufacturers didn't want to flaunt the law and until homebrewing became fully legal, brewing supplies and information were both hard to find and mediocre in quality. What the 1978 law opened up was the importation of brewing supplies and ingredients from the UK, for instance, where they had been available and popular for years. This growth coinciding with the beginnings of the craft beer movement has now brought us to what could easily be called the "Golden Age" of homebrewing. Malts, hops and yeasts that only a few decades ago ago were exclusively available to commercial brewers are now right there on the shelves of my LHBS. From somebody who homebrewed for a number of years prior to 1978 I can tell you the difference is like going from the Bronze Age to the 21st Century in twenty-five years.

The president has an agenda, can draft legislation, but most importantly, signs it, so unless it was vetoed followed by a 2/3 overturn, I say Jimmy Carter helped pass it, and I hate JC (not Jesus, Jimmy)

I've been reading through some of those links. The legislation was pushed by Rep. William Stieger (R-WI), who oddly enough, died of a heart attack two months after the bill was signed at the age of 40. Did he die for our cause? ;)

EDIT: Carter signed the bill on the 10th day, the last day for him to sign it. Interesting, because this is usually done to send a slight message: he had no reason or cause to veto it, but wasn't exactly supporting the measure.

flame.jpg

OT: It'd be an interesting topic for a book. Maybe if my grant doesn't get renewed I'll start a Kickstarter campaign and write it.

Sigafoos: That is what I was thinking, which is why I am surprised there isn't already a book covering it in detail ... which is why I asked, in hopes that there was and I just wasn't finding it.

I love the combination of things passed in that bill:
IRS taxes on transportation, how to compute;
Legalize home brew;
Aerial application taxes for farming;
IRA taxes;
Social Security for California exemption for food stamps.

The closest thing I have been able to find about some of the concurrent history in the illegal home brewing and political movement areas is as follows:
Brewing Knowledge Takes a Leap Forward

In 1969, beer writer and early proponent of craft beer Fred Eckhardt released A Treatise on Lager Beer, followed five years later by Quality Brewing, written by Byron Burch, future owner of The Beverage People homebrew supply shop in Santa Rosa, CA.
The Birth of Homebrew Clubs

The Maltose Falcons homebrew club, which is still going strong to this day, was founded in Los Angeles in 1974.
Homebrewing Legalized!

On October 14, 1978, President Jimmy Carter signed H.R. 1337, which contained an amendment sponsored by Senator Alan Cranston creating an exemption from taxation for beer brewed at home for personal or family use. This exemption went into effect February 1, 1979.
The American Homebrewers Association

Just weeks after President Carter signed the bill that legalized homebrewing, Charlie Papazian and Charlie Matzen launched the American Homebrewers Association (AHA) in Boulder, CO on December 7, 1978 with the publication of the first issue of Zymurgy magazine.
Inaugural AHA National Homebrew Competition and National Homebrewers Conference

The newly founded AHA held the National Homebrew Competition and Gala Homebrewers Ball on May 5, 1979. Twenty-four brewers submitted 34 entries into 6 categories in that first year's single-day event.

Not really a lot of information there on the cultural history going on; and the political history seems to be mostly dead also.

And while this: http://beerinbaltimore.blogspot.com/2010/08/let-me-get-this-straight-jimmy-carter.html is a perfectly interesting discussion, it really doesn't go to the point at all and seems to completely miss a lot of how things work in the law.

Thus, back to my original question. If you were involved in the era - you might even know the answer! If not, anyone know of anything other than a bunch of bloggers rambling about what they think is or is not the case? This would be a great book topic and a great historical reference for those who want to legalize other types of home brewing.

... and what the hell is it with the topics I have created this week. Every forum I'm on, at least one topic I've written has became a flame war .... :(

Don't be so surprised if there isn't much "history" behind the bill itself. Just because we have so much passion for homebrewing doesn't mean that it was such a great story getting this bill to pass. Honestly, as I read some of those links, I started to wonder if the homebrewing legalization was merely an attachment to the bigger bill.

The thing is, the history hasn't ended. I think a history of homebrewing in the US would be a great topic: my grandfather told me his dad used to use cans of malt extract during prohibition (****, he's in his mid 90s, I need to get some of the stories of his dad hiding booze in a false compartment under his car recorded somewhere soon). Then there were the early days of brewing, when you had extract kits and powdery hops, and then the state to state fights over legalization.

...I should shut up in case I want to write this, shouldn't I? Put that history degree to use...

Yup. History is still in the makings. While Federal Law allows for homebrewing a few states still haven't evolved to the times. Oklahoma has just legalized beer on the basis that wine has been legal for decades. had it not been for that, Oklahoma would still have homebrewing as illeagal. The real surprise was in how many showed up in protest of the legalization. Despite wine being legal. Cause Jeebus didn't make beer from water.

Don't be so surprised if there isn't much "history" behind the bill itself. Just because we have so much passion for homebrewing doesn't mean that it was such a great story getting this bill to pass. Honestly, as I read some of those links, I started to wonder if the homebrewing legalization was merely an attachment to the bigger bill.

Yah, not so much worried about history of the bill itself, but history of the culture behind the bill. There was a lot of cultural movements along that same period in time, I would think they came together to make things happen - whether formal or informal.

It's like the history of salt, not so interesting on the outside, fascinating once you start to get into it - especially if there is a good story teller available.

1) H.R. 1337 is an excise tax bill, primarily about manufacturer excise taxes om trucks, buses, highway tractors and trailers.

A committee amendment added homebrew beer as a tax exempt.

Senate Report No. 95-1127 from the Finance Committee says in part:
2. HOME PRODUCTION OF BEER AND WINE.-- THE COMMITTEE AMENDMENT ALLOWS ANY ADULT TO PRODUCE WINE AND (IF THE INDIVIDUAL REGISTERS WITH **2905 THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT) TO PRODUCE BEER FOR PERSONAL AND FAMILY USE UP TO CERTAIN QUANTITIES WITHOUT INCURRING THE WINE OR BEER EXCISE TAXES OR ANY PENALTIES. THE MAXIMUM AMOUNTS WHICH MAY BE PRODUCED FREE OF TAX ARE 200 GALLONS OF WINE AND 200 GALLONS OF BEER PER YEAR IN A HOUSEHOLD IN WHICH THERE ARE TWO OR MORE ADULTS. IF THERE IS ONLY ONE ADULT IN THE HOUSEHOLD, THE ANNUAL LIMIT IS 100 GALLONS OF WINE AND 100 GALLONS OF BEER. IN ADDITION, THE BILL PROVIDES THAT THE AMOUNT OF SUCH HOME-BREWED BEER ON HAND IN ANY HOUSEHOLD AT ANY ONE TIME (INCLUDING BEER IN PROCESS) MAY NOT EXCEED 30 GALLONS. FOR PURPOSES OF THE WINE AND BEER PRODUCTION LIMITATIONS, THE TERM ‘ADULT‘ MEANS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ATTAINED 18 YEARS OF AGE, OR THE MINIMUM AGE (IF ANY) ESTABLISHED BY LAW APPLICABLE IN THE LOCALITY IN WHICH THE HOUSEHOLD IS SITUATED AT WHICH WINE OR BEER (AS THE CASE MAY BE) MAY BE SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS, WHICHEVER AGE DETERMINATION IS HIGHER.
B. EXCISE TAX TREATMENT OF HOME PRODUCTION OF BEER OR WINE (SEC. 2 OF THE BILL AND SECS. 5042 AND 5053 OF THE CODE)

PRESENT LAW

PRESENT LAW (SEC. 5042 OF THE CODE) PERMITS THE ‘HEAD OF ANY FAMILY,‘ AFTER REGISTERING WITH THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT, TO PRODUCE UP TO 200 GALLONS OF WINE A YEAR FOR FAMILY USE WITHOUT PAYMENT OF TAX. HOWEVER, A SINGLE INDIVIDUAL WHO IS NOT THE HEAD OF A FAMILY IS NOT *5 COVERED BY THIS EXEMPTION (SEE TREAS. REGS. 27 CFR SECS. 240.540 ET SEQ.).
THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, AND FIREARMS INTERPRETS PRESENT LAW (SEC. 5054(A)(3)) AS PROVIDING THAT IT IS ILLEGAL TO BREW BEER IN ONE'S HOME FOR HOME CONSUMPTION. AS A RESULT, THE TAX OF $9 PER BARREL (31 GALLONS OR LESS), WHICH IS IMPOSED ON THE PRODUCTION OF BEER (SEC. **2908 5051(A)), IS DUE AND PAYABLE IMMEDIATELY UPON PRODUCTION. IN ADDITION, THE BUREAU TAKES THE POSITION THAT HOME BREWERS ARE SUBJECT TO THE CRIMINAL PENALTIES IMPOSED BY THE CODE (SEC. 5687) FOR LIQUOR TAX OFFENSES THAT ARE NOT OTHERWISE SPECIFICALLY COVERED.

REASONS FOR CHANGE

THE COMMITTEE BELIEVES IT IS APPROPRIATE TO GRANT A LIMITED EXEMPTION FROM THE BEER TAX FOR THE PRODUCTION OF BEER FOR PERSONAL AND FAMILY USE. THE COMMITTEE ALSO BELIEVES THAT IT IS CONSISTENT WITH THE PRESENT WINE TAX EXEMPTION FOR HEADS OF FAMILIES TO PROVIDE A COMPARABLE EXEMPTION FOR ADULT INDIVIDUALS NOT NOW COVERED BY THIS EXEMPTION.
ACCORDINGLY, THE BILL PROVIDES A LIMITED EXEMPTION FROM THE WINE AND BEER TAXES FOR WINE AND BEER PRODUCED, FOR PERSONAL OR FAMILY USE (AND NOT FOR SALE), BY ADULTS.

EXPLANATION OF PROVISION

WINE

THE BILL MODIFIES THE PROVISIONS OF EXISTING LAW THAT PERMIT HEADS OF FAMILIES TO PRODUCE WINE TAX-FREE FOR FAMILY USE. UNDER THE BILL, THE PRESENT LIMITATION OF 200 GALLONS OF TAX-FREE PRODUCTION IN A CALENDAR YEAR IS TO APPLY IF THERE ARE TWO OR MORE ADULTS IN THE HOUSEHOLD. IF THERE IS ONLY ONE ADULT IN THE HOUSEHOLD, THEN 100 GALLONS OF WINE MAY BE PRODUCED BY THAT ADULT TAX-FREE IN A CALENDAR YEAR. THE PRESENT LAW'S REQUIREMENT THAT ANY PRODUCER OF WINE UNDER THE FAMILY-USE EXEMPTION MUST BE A ‘HEAD OF ANY FAMILY‘ IS REPEALED.
***5 FOR PURPOSES OF THE WINE PRODUCTION LIMITATIONS, THE TERM ‘ADULT ‘ MEANS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ATTAINED 18 YEARS OF AGE, OR THE MINIMUM AGE (IF ANY) ESTABLISHED BY LAW APPLICABLE IN THE LOCALITY IN WHICH THE HOUSEHOLD IS SITUATED AT WHICH WINE MAY BE SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS, WHICHEVER AGE DETERMINATION IS HIGHER.
IN ADDITION, THE BILL ELIMINATES THE PRESENT-LAW REQUIREMENT THAT THE PERSON PRODUCING THE WINE MUST HAVE REGISTERED WITH THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT.

BEER

THE BILL PROVIDES ESSENTIALLY THE SAME RULES IN THE CASE OF HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTION OF BEER BY ADULTS, WITH THE ADDED REQUIREMENT THAT, IN ORDER NOT TO BE SUBJECT TO THE BEER TAX, THE AMOUNT OF BEER ON HAND AT ANY ONE TIME (INCLUDING BEER IN PROCESS) IS NOT TO EXCEED 30 GALLONS. ALSO, THE BILL REQUIRES THAT THE PRODUCERS OF BEER REGISTER WITH THE TREASURY DEPARTMENT IN ORDER TO QUALIFY UNDER THE HOME BREWING EXCEPTION.
FOR PURPOSES OF THE BEER PRODUCTION LIMITATIONS, THE TERM ‘ADULT‘ MEANS AN INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS ATTAINED 18 YEARS OF AGE, OR THE MINIMUM AGE (IF ANY) ESTABLISHED BY LAW APPLICABLE IN THE LOCALITY IN WHICH THE HOUSEHOLD IS SITUATED AT WHICH BEER MAY BE SOLD TO INDIVIDUALS, WHICHEVER AGE DETERMINATION IS HIGHER.
*6 THE BILL ALSO MAKES IT CLEAR THAT CRIMINAL PENALTIES IMPOSED UNDER FEDERAL LAW IN CONNECTION WITH ILLEGALLY PRODUCED BEER DO NOT APPLY TO HOME PRODUCTION WHICH QUALIFIES FOR THE EXEMPTION PROVIDED IN THIS BILL. THE PROVISIONS DEALING WITH ILLEGALLY PRODUCED BEER ARE AMENDED TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT HOME PRODUCTION OF BEER THAT DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR THE NEW EXEMPTION IS ILLEGAL.

**2909 EFFECTIVE DATE

THE PROVISION WOULD TAKE EFFECT ON THE FIRST DAY OF THE FIRST CALENDAR MONTH WHICH BEGINS MORE THAN 90 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF THE BILL'S ENACTMENT.

REVENUE EFFECT

THE PROVISION IS ESTIMATED TO REDUCE BUDGET RECEIPTS BY LESS THAN $1.5 MILLION ANNUALLY, BEGINNING WITH FISCAL YEAR 1979.

The history of the culture of the bill seems to be a nationwide bottler's strike at Anheuser-Busch in 1976. The beer shortage created new home brewers. What, home brewing is illegal? California Senator Alan Cranston writes the an amendment to the excise bill. There is discussion that not including home brewing as a tax exemption when wine making became exempt after probition was merely a poorly written bill. It took the 1976 beer shortage to bring the problem enough attention to write the correction.

The thing is, the history hasn't ended. I think a history of homebrewing in the US would be a great topic: my grandfather told me his dad used to use cans of malt extract during prohibition (****, he's in his mid 90s, I need to get some of the stories of his dad hiding booze in a false compartment under his car recorded somewhere soon). Then there were the early days of brewing, when you had extract kits and powdery hops, and then the state to state fights over legalization.

You'll find this stuff interesting. This is a great podcast on the "old days"

February 14, 2008 - Homebrew History
Charlie Papazian shares a bit of homebrew history 30 years after legislation legalizing home brewing passed Congress. Also, home brewer Robb Holmes talks about brewing when it was breaking the law.

Click to play Mp-3

And Maureen Ogle in here book Ambitious brew also goes into the history of homebrewing and the legislation a little bit.

5194HaN2BoL._SL500_.jpg

It's talked about in part two of the interview with here. But the book is a must read on the history of beer/brewing in America.

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

The history of the culture of the bill seems to be a nationwide bottler's strike at Anheuser-Busch in 1976. . . . . It took the 1976 beer shortage to bring the problem enough attention to write the correction.

Now that is something I had not heard spelled out and connected. That makes a lot of sense! I am sure this wasn't the only thing, but that is definitely cool.

It's like the history of salt, not so interesting on the outside, fascinating once you start to get into it - especially if there is a good story teller available.

In that case, you should definitely check out Ambitious Brew. Great book, even though it focuses mostly on the big boys of brewing, the latter part of the book has a lot of information about post-Prohibition times and the influx of craft beer and how that changed the market. There is also some stuff from Charlie Papazian covering the early homebrew atmosphere.

Oops... Revvy beat me to it!

Great minds think alike, and at the same time. :mug:

I've been glancing at this thread on and off today, and kinda waiting to see if it got back on track before chiming in. There's very little online and even on here about the history of our hobby, especially the legal aspect of it. It's really good to have some of the info in one place.

Be nice if we could get a cleanup on page 1. :p (Calling all Mods, Calling all Mods, Cleanup on Page 1...)

---

I will definitely have to check that book out.

Really, what I'm trying to do is put together a picture of the overall political and cultural climate that made things take that final leap.

What I have so far:

1) Prohibition Laws still hanging around, people realizing at least part of them were stupid.
2) Influx of new home brewers due to the bottlers strike.
3) Bunch of people bored in Congress that needed to pass a bill.
4) Brews falling off the market, people getting grumpy due to lack of inebriation.
5) Bill walks through.

I would be shocked if there is not more to this. I will give a read and listen to the resources you guys posted, and be sure to update this eventually. However, please don't stop adding to it now. :)

However - what puzzles me is why didn't this go further, why did it stop at beer and wine?

EDIT: Carter signed the bill on the 10th day, the last day for him to sign it. Interesting, because this is usually done to send a slight message: he had no reason or cause to veto it, but wasn't exactly supporting the measure.

IIRC, Jimma was (is?) a Baptist deacon. That might explain his lukewarm support of a pro-alcohol bill.

Yeah, like THAT'S a good idea, olllllo.

Er, anyway.

Thanks for the podcast, Revvy. There's a Basic Brewing Radio of the keynote of the 09 NHC with Ken Grossman where he talks about some of that too.

I've read AB, and really like Maureen Ogle now (even if she's moved on to meat). There wasn't much homebrewing as I recall in the book, though, which was okay because where it really shined was in beer history from the 19th century til the craft movement began. I think it does a good job of showing the BS in 'BMC was shoved down peoples' throats' -- it's what they wanted. They wanted crap, but it was the public that asked for it.

Also, being a youngin', I didn't know Coors used to be cool.

There was a point in time when Coors wasn't distributed nationally, so if you were on the right (directionally, not politically, relax) side of the country, you were out of luck. So that generated a lot of buzz for em. My father in law tells stories of smuggling some back into Ohio after going on ski trips out west, and then selling em for 10x their worth and stocking up on bud instead.

You might be able to find the committee reports, committee transcripts and floor debates from both the house and senate through thomas.loc.gov. That might give you some insight on what was said in Congress.

If you asked the AHA nicely, they may be able to point you in the right direction of some lesser known sources or facts.

You may find a memorial or donation at a college, library, or school near where the sponsor lived that may have some of his personal documents. There may -- and it's a tiny chance -- be some information there.

My guess would be that the rep who introduced it into the house knew somebody who was passionate about homebrewing and made a nice campaign contribution to get that excise tax shoved into the bill.

You might also want to go back into the Congressional history of the 21st Amendment and the federal laws following the end of prohibition and see what discussions took place about homebrewing. Although the consensus seems to be that beer was accidentally left out of the excise tax laws, I suspect that might have been purposeful.

There's also a lot of case law (court decisions) surrounding the 21st Amendment and state power over the commerce/distribution of alcohol within the state that may be relevant. Not necessarily to homebrewing but the distinction between homebrewing and the requirements for selling or distributing beer and other alcoholic beverages within the state. There's not much case law surrounding homebrewing itself, other than prohibition cases. Most of what else you will find involves cases where prisoners were found homebrewing in jail.

Back