Hill Farmstead Mimosa Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbosco

Reaction score
Any ideas how to do something similar to this? It's a saison fermented with B.Clausenii and tangello/tangerine juice and zest. I've never used juice before in a beer.

I am going to try something like this soon. I have brewed a few beers with other fruit but never citrus (zest or juice). I was thinking that the best way would be to add the zest at flame out and the juice in the secondary. I would pitch the Brett C with a saison yeast right from the start. I've never actually had the beer though so it's hard for me to guess the grain bill or quantities of fruit. I read on another thread that the base was most likely rahr 2 row. Have you had any luck or brewed this beer yet?

Any ideas how to do something similar to this? It's a saison fermented with B.Clausenii and tangello/tangerine juice and zest. I've never used juice before in a beer.

I have little to add other than when I asked Shaun about using zest in a beer he said "always in the dry hop." So, I would add both the zest and juice in the secondary. I assume the zest and juice are coming from the same fruit, so adding them at the same time makes logistical sense anyway.

I experimented with this a little bit. The lesson learned for me, is that the juice will add a significant amount of citric acid, which builds upon the acids created by Brett (brett doesn't make a lot, but some) to make an almost unpleasantly sour beer. I'll be taking another stab at it, but my plan this time around is to adjust the pH of the fruit juice so that it provides flavor and sugar, but only a nominal amount of acid.

As much as he's an artist, Shaun Hill also very well understands the chemistry and science of brewing. I would imagine this is something he's considered.

Necro thread Tuesday! ;)

I'm pretty sure I saw pictures of the HF guys adding citrus to the kettle on the collab with Dany at Fantome. Check their FB page if you're interested.

I know that Gabe Fletcher at Anchorge adds kumquats at flameout for the Galaxy White IPA. I tried a clone, but jumped the gun on kumquat season and had to use an orange.

Anyone try this yet ? Results?

Very interested. Tried to email HF about a recipe for it and they wouldn't give anything away.

Anyone try this yet ? Results?

Very interested. Tried to email HF about a recipe for it and they wouldn't give anything away.

I have not yet, but intend to in the next month or so. Shaun is pretty tight-lipped about his recipes. If you ask an intelligent question about a specific process or ingredient, he might reply with something helpful, but if you ask for a clone recipe, you're not going to get it.

I need to correct my previous post above. When I asked Shaun about using zest he said "always fresh zest" and "end of boil," not "always in the dry hop."

Yep, that sounds about right...

1000 ICU = 1 gm/litre. 1 gal contains 3.785 litres. 5 gal is 18.925 litres. Therefore ~19 grams would be 1000 ICU, so to hit 500, you need roughly half that - 9.5 gm.

The thing that confuses me, is that Mimosa contains fruit juice, in addition to the zest. I don't believe that is calculated into the ICU, but would certainly have an affect on the character of the beer. I can say from personal experience - make sure you monitor the pH. I added a bunch of tangerine juice and the resulting beer was a bit too acidic, with all of the citric acid that the juice added.

Good to know I can do simple math :)

Yeah, in the article he mentions the impact of juice on pH - I brought it up in an email to him and he said they used the juice from the tangelos that they zested (and drank some of it too) so I'm thinking their is not that much juice added to the brew either

Unfortunately no photos of the Mimosa brew on FB or their website. There is a gallery of them brewing Friendship & Reunion, which had blood orange, but no mention of ICU's and the amounts in the photos look to be pretty nominal for a 15 BBL batch.

Back