Hiking Barefoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
Today was a beautiful day for Central Montana. It hit close to 60 here, and I set out on a 6 mile hike from my front door.... Out across the rolling prairie foothills, through pastures, up to the reservoir and around it and back home by a different route. Not long after I hit the reservoir, I came to the inlet, and there was no way to cross without getting my feet wet, so off came the shoes and socks, and I waded, feeling the mud squish up between my toes. Once out of the water, I didn't want to put shoes and socks back on, so I walked for half a mile barefoot over a dough like mud with a crust on the surface with something between sand and gravel, reveling in the feeling of the soft surface giving under the pressure of my feet, and the massaging of the small sharp hard particles on my skin. Each step was a massage, a sensory experience. Of course I had to pick my path carefully between the larger hard and sharp rocks. Not at all like walking a beach with the slippery sand giving way beneath your feet, or the firmer damper sand near the water's edge, this was a unique and extremely theraputic sensation that left my feet invigorated and ready for the miles home.
5000' in the foothills of the Rockies where the prairie and the mountains come together in the most beautiful interplay of landscape and scenery, spring should not be here yet, but it is. The Sandhill Cranes are back, there were ducks, geese, and swans, and flights of various other birds. I saw the fresh work of beaver, and saw the muskrats swimming in the smaller ponds. The deer are just starting into velvet, the magpies flying over with their long showy tails. Green grass is showing up next to the cactus, and numerous small animals and birds are about the business of spring. The does are fat with young, and the birds are scouting for nesting sites......... the season of joy and hope, the season of new life, and of love.

H.W.

My feet would probably be a bloody mess from that.

I hope we see spring in New England sometime. It is not projected to be above the 45 degrees except for one rainy day in the next 10 days.

Barefoot?? I don't think so.....

Just got my Montana license as a Physical Therapist Assistant in the hopes that in about 4-5 years me and the missus will move there permanently. We feel in love with Northern Idaho and Montana after doing a few work assignments in the area. Definitely God's country

Back on the farm, a few years ago, the crusty gooey stuff was usually a cow pie. Some times I miss going out to get the cows in the morning, taking a minute to warm the toes where a cow had laid down for the night.

Barefoot is the best. I hike barefoot all the time. Trail running barefoot is the best. Strengthens your feet and makes you feel great.

Back