Hijacking Commercial Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_lupo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to hijack commercial yeast before? I'm making a batch of blvd wheat clone and I was thinking of trying to capture some of the yeast from a real bottle of commercial brew. I read that you can empty 2/3 of the bottle out and fill her up with some sugar water throw on an airlock and you might just get lucky and get a culture going. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this successfully.

Most companies use a different yeast for bottle conditioning. :( Somewhere on this site is somewhat of a list of the companies that do or don't.

I've tried it exactly once, and it was on a local microbrew Wit that is unpastuerized. It turned out great! As Billybrew noteth, many breweries use different strains for bottle conditioning. So make sure that you're not getting some generic crap yeast strain that you thought was Pacman, etc.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Most companies use a different yeast for bottle conditioning. :( Somewhere on this site is somewhat of a list of the companies that do or don't.

Can someone send me a link to this URL. I'm hoping BLVD wheat is one of the breweries that does not use a different yeast!

God Emporer BillyBrew said:

He speaks the truth. I spoke with a brewer a couple weeks back who said they filter out the yeast they use, then add a diferent one for conditioning. Their little way of keeping the recipe a secret.

Chimone said:
He speaks the truth. I spoke with a brewer a couple weeks back who said they filter out the yeast they use, then add a diferent one for conditioning. Their little way of keeping the recipe a secret.

This makes sense and I never thought about it but yeah if I wanted to keep my yeast a secret I would do the same thing. :(

Latest posts

Back