Highlander Brewing Supply 25 gallon BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergman1118

Reaction score
http://www.highlanderbrewingsupply.com/servlet/the-22/25-Gallon-Mash-Tun/Detail

Anybody out there own this or know anything about it? I am contemplating upgrading to this BK, but I want to make sure it is worth the money. I am also considering the MoreBeer 26 gallon BK (http://morebeer.com/view_product/84..._Kettle_-_With_Ball_Valve_104_Quart_26_Gallon), but I like the fact that the highlander brewing supply BK comes with a ball valve, sight glass, and a thermometer already installed.. Plus it is about $30 cheaper with all of these things included, and still has free shipping. It is all aluminum, but that has never been an issue to me (though they typically don't hold up as long, I believe).

Any thoughts/opinions on this debate?

I bought the 15 gallon BIAB pot from Highland and I couldn't be happier. The only issue is the fact that its aluminum and you have to pre-condition it but thats not that big of a deal. All of the fittings on mine (ball valve and thermometer) are quality and the BIAB supplies that came with it are really nice too. Mine came with a free t-shirt but i dont know if they are still offering that. All and all a good company and i would recommend going for it.

I have a couple highlander kettles and love them. Great value. I have no idea why some would consider them less durable than steel unless extreme misuse is planned. They have little in common with the thin kettles that come with a cheap turkey fry kit.

Good to know! Thanks very much for your input, guys. My main concern was that it would be flimsy, but I'm glad to hear that's not the case. For the price, I think this 25 gallon pot can't be beat.

Have you guys had any issues with the kettle screen (i.e. clogging)?

If you a DIYer, you could make your own aluminum BK with all the same fittings for much less than they are charging. Just off the top of my head, I think I could make this for about $90-110 for the fittings and $70.00-80.00 or so for the pot.

For $255, you could make the same thing in a Stainless Steel pot and not have to worry about the downsides of the aluminum.

How do you stir the mash without crushing that screen? It would never work for me.

_

If you a DIYer, you could make your own aluminum BK with all the same fittings for much less than they are charging. Just off the top of my head, I think I could make this for about $90-110 for the fittings and $70.00-80.00 or so for the pot.

For $255, you could make the same thing in a Stainless Steel pot and not have to worry about the downsides of the aluminum.

So you're saying $160 - 200 total? Gotta factor in labor, which I assume would be several hours worth. I have no where near the capability to build a 25 gallon aluminum BK on my own anyway, but thanks for the advice.

I am concerned about the kettle screen as well. I am intending on using this as BK right now, but I do worry that the thing would get clogged with hot/cold break and hop sediment.. However, I use the standard 10 gal. gatorade cooler w/ S/S hose braid with no issues now, and that thing is narrower than this kettle screen it appears. I may buy an additional one in the future for mashing, but I'm curious about the performance of the kettle screen for mashes.. I wonder what kind of efficiency people get using this as a MLT? I'm consistently getting about 82-83% batch sparging with the hose braid, so maybe it wouldn't be too much worse with the kettle screen since they are somewhat similar (but there would be a sh*t load more grain weight on top of that screen in a mash for a 15 gallon batch!)

Well sure you gotta factor in labor, that is why these guys are making a profit, because they are charging you a slight markup on their supplies and a hefty markup on their labor.

I was just pointing out that you could make it yourself and save some $$$ if you wanted to. I made my keggle with a weldless bulkhead, three-piece ball valve, barb, and pick-up tube for about $85.00, including the purchase price of the keg. It took me about 30 minutes to drill the hole and put it all together. The same thing sells for about $200-220 at most online stores. If my time is worth a whole bunch, well then I got ripped off, but (un?)fortunately, my time isn't worth all that much, so I got a great deal by DIY.

Anyway, always trying to save a buck here :)

Ahhhh, you made a keggle.. was thinking you fabricated your own damn BK from scratch, lol.
I was initially gonna go that route, but I eventually want to do 15 gallon batches, and that obviously won't work with a keggle. Thus, I'm investigating these.

Back