Higher than expected OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I started to brew an arrogant bastard clone that I found online, and then decided that I didn't really just want to copy someone else's beer, so I figured I'd twist it (and it ended up not looking at all like arrogant bastard). This is what I ended up with:

12lbs of Pale Malt Extract
1.5lbs crystal 120
6oz of chinook hops (2oz leaf at 90, 1oz leaf at 30, 1oz leaf at 20, 2oz of pellets at FO)
irish moss
3 packets safale us-05 yeast
6 gallons of water

Now - due in part i think to the sheer volume of leaf hops, and due to the 90 minute boil, my OG was significantly higher than expected. Beersmith said expected was 1.070 or something like that, measured was 1.082.

I direct pitched my yeast and it seems to be fermenting well - i've got in it a cold water bath keeping it at about 64 degrees.

My questions are these:

Will 3 packets of safale be enough?
Will I need to raise the temp for the yeast to reach maximum attenuation due to the higher OG?
What kind of time am I going to expect this to be in heavy primary fermentation? When I said water bath... its literally in my bath, and if it stays there for too long my girlfriend is going to get a little annoyed.

I realize most of these questions will be answered with time, but for those of us who are impatient...

Thanks.

Is this a 5 gallon batch or a 6 gallon batch??? did you account for the boil off of a 90min boil. most times a higher than expected OG is usually due to less water than was expected in extract brewing. that being said i just put you grain bill into iBrewmaster and it is saying an og came out to 1.078 for a 6 gallon (60min boil of 7gallons) and 1.092 for a 5 gallon 60min boil of 6gallons). my guess is you have somewhere around 5.5 gallons of wort fermenting.... I think you should be fine with that quantity yeast at 64. i would give it at least 4 weeks total time (split if you are using a secondary) but FG readings will tell you when it is done

Started my boil with 6 gallons, ended with about 4.75 after a 90min boil... I forgot I reduced my volume by a gallon once I started brewing due to the increased extracts... I need a larger brew kettle! Last batch was 6 gallon after boil, but it was only 60 minute boil and I had less leaf hops.

My last beer I let ferment for a month and it was only a 6%, I planned on aging this one a little longer in secondary actually, and dry hopping it for a week with another 4-5oz of chinook directly before tapping.

Thank you.

Back