high yeast attenuation leaving alcohol flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i put together a recipe for an IPA to reach an ABV of 6.9. I hit my OG as planned. after fermentation was done i checked my FG and it was was much lower than anticipated, thus leaving me with a much stronger beer (8.0 abv!). so my IPA ended up more like a DIPA. i hopped it up pretty nice anyway (80 ibu's), so it came out balanced enough. the only thing i noticed was an off flavor of heat and alcohol. best way to describe it is a "hot" and warm taste. i used about a 1 1/2 packets of us-05. according to mr. maltys calc. this should have been plenty. is this a cause from using dry yeast or this yeast in general. i had a friend who used notty and he said he had the same thing. he said now he just changes his recipe around to being a lower OG to reach his desired ABV. i thought this seemed a little inconsistant as i wanna know exactly what im gonna be hitting every time. has anyone had this problem with us-05 or notty? what about the problem w/ liquid yeast?

It's probably just "hot" and warm because it is! That's a pretty high ABV, and you'll get a feeling of warmth drinking it. It should mellow quite a bit with a little age.

Also, if your ferment temps were on the high side, you'll get fusel alcohols that will taste hot. Unfortunately, those don't mellow out as much with age and the warmth you get from a high ABV brew.

ferment temps were about 69-71F so i think im good. i did not use corn sugar. has anybody had this problem w/ liquid yeast?
grain bill-
11lbs 2-row
1lb wheat
3/4lb c-10
1/2lb c-20

ferment temps were about 69-71F so i think im good.

Was that the actual temp of the beer or the ambient temp where you stored the beer? If it was the latter, then the beer temp was probably in the mid-70's. Even if it was the beer temp, 70 is still a little on the high end.

Was that the actual temp of the beer or the ambient temp where you stored the beer? If it was the latter, then the beer temp was probably in the mid-70's. Even if it was the beer temp, 70 is still a little on the high end.

room temp was about 63-65 continually so i took the guess it was about 69-71, probably should have bought a fermometer to have an accurate reading. im still concerned about the way the FG ended up since i was shooting for a much lower abv beer. ive read in other threads about us-05 doing this. is it the cause from this yeast? anybody have this issue with something like white labs wlp001?

What was the OG? What FG were you shooting for and what did you get? I've read that the US-05 attenuates somewhere from 70-85% in some cases. A bit of math shows with the grain bill you had you got 85% attenuation to get that ABV...which is pretty high, perhaps you can play with your mash temps to get it to ferment less if that's your goal

What was the OG? What FG were you shooting for and what did you get? I've read that the US-05 attenuates somewhere from 70-85% in some cases. A bit of math shows with the grain bill you had you got 85% attenuation to get that ABV...which is pretty high, perhaps you can play with your mash temps to get it to ferment less if that's your goal

OG was 1.072. was actually shooting for 1.073
FG was 1.010, was shooting for 1.020 or 1.019
i was amazed when i took the FG and seen it all the way down to 1.010.
mashed at 152...

Back