High Temp Pitch Oopsy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHack

Reaction score
Tired, distractions... ect. I miss read my floating thermometer. Thought it was 25C, really was 35C. I transferred to my carboy and pitched US-05. Didn't realize what I had done until I moved the carboy to the fermentation chamber and inserted the temp probe into the thermowell. I've been cooling it with ice packs and a fan. Dropped 10 degrees in 2 hours.

So I figure I'll know if the yeast is dead by tomorrow. I'm familiar with the recipe and expect bubbles in 12 hours. If there is no activity I'm thinking about pitching again. What do you guys think?

It's a crap shoot. 35°C is 5°C above Fermentis' recommended hydration temperature range and is 11°C over their recommended fermentation range.
I'd be inclined to have enough yeast on hand for a repitch if there's nothing evidently happening after 48 hours...

Cheers!

Yeast definitely didn't die. I'd pitch an additional packet ASAP anyway just to prevent the unhappy cells from producing too many off-flavours during the fermentation though.

Yeast definitely didn't die. I'd pitch an additional packet ASAP anyway just to prevent the unhappy cells from producing too many off-flavours during the fermentation though.

P+15hrs,:
- pretty weak bubbling
- thin krausen

Pretty underwhelming. Defiantly under pitched. Adding another pack could overpitch... so which is worst?

US-05 isn't exactly known for fast and burly starts - indeed it gets lots of complaints about slow starts - so the pitch may be OK.
That why I specified 48 hours...

Cheers!
You were right. :mug:
I checked the fermenter again and it has steady bubbles and a good looking Krausen growing. Smells great too. I think I got lucky. Going to let it ride. :thumbsup:

[...] really was 35C. I transferred to my carboy and pitched US-05.
By that time it may have lost another 5-10°C...

It's a crap shoot. 35°C is 5°C above Fermentis' recommended hydration temperature range [...]
In that light of the above ^^, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Was the pitched yeast sprinkled, or rehydrated when pitching?

By that time it may have lost another 5-10°C...[...]

Didn't realize what I had done until I moved the carboy to the fermentation chamber and inserted the temp probe into the thermowell.
I take that to mean the "35°C" was measured post-pitch, so a true 35°C bath for the yeasties :)

Cheers!

Yep, yeasties were hydrated and pitched at 35C. Then cooled to 18C with in 4 hours. Tough little buggers. 😁

P+15hrs,:
- pretty weak bubbling
- thin krausen

Pretty underwhelming. Defiantly under pitched. Adding another pack could overpitch... so which is worst?
Underpitch is WAY worse. Overpitching, practically speaking, is very difficult in homebrewing. There have been tests done where people pitch 10 times the required amount of yeast and the only effect was a very fast fermentation and slightly lower esters due to the lower amount of yeast growth.

If you give me the option of over vs underpitching with regular dry yeast, I'll pick overpitching 10/10 times.

I tasted this beer yesterday and can report it's delicious. Had good attenuation too. No ill effects from accidentally pitching at 35degC.
20210525_205608.jpg

Last edited:
Back