High temp. Notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
I used nottingham for the first time this sat. night, in the wife's "mojito" beer. Basically 6lbs wheat malt with adjuncts. Pitched and had fermentation starting yesterday (about 16 hours) and all was fine. The temp on the strip thermometer read 68 at the start, and about 70 this morning, with steady activity. I came home and it had rocketed off (first time for krausen on the tip of the airlock). I'd heard about and expected this from a wheat beer. The problem is, the temp. is now in the 76-78 degree range. I've moved it too the coolest place in the house, but with stuff moving so quickly this temp. will probably be what it ferments at.

I've read lots of questions about this yeast at low temperatures for fermentation, but none at high temperatures (that I could find at least). I know it will still be beer, I'm not worried about that, just wondering what type of off flavors I can expect as this is an important "buy in" beer with SWMBO. It will also impact how much more mint we add for the "dry minting";) .

I had nottingham hit 82 deg f, and the beer was excellent. I crash cooled it a sink of cold water back down to 69 degrees.

Thanks for the advice. I have it in the sink now with ice water slowly cooling. The thing is, the aroma coming out of the air-lock smells really good (I always sniff). My idea for a recipe was with the wife's adjuncts in mind (mint). I was skeptical about how to incorporate that into a light, girly beer. Here's my recipe, I'll follow up upon completion.

1/2 Carapils steeped in 4 gallons water up to 155, then held for 30 min.
3 lbs. Briess wheat DME
1 oz. Sterling @ 75 min.
3.3 lbs. Briess Bavarian LME @ 15 min.
3/4 oz. mint and zest of 4 limes @ 15 min.

Immersion cool, strain to primary on top of 1 gallon cold water and top to 5.5 gallons.

Pitch Nottingham (hoped for a nuetral ferm. to accentuate the adjuncts). I've never used this yeast, but from reading I thought this or the Safale-05 would work.

I thought it would make a fairly light, refreshing drink after some mint is added to the primary @ 10 days, 4 before bottling. Of course, this was all before the rocket in a bucket that took off during the time I left for work and time I got home from watching the Tigers LOSE on opening day at the bar:mad: .

Back