High ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can but how much LJ you'd need to add, I don't know.

Its possible that you may need to add so much that all you'll taste is the lime juice......

Did you use a commercial agave product, or use your own agave creation? From your linked plan, the agave & lime was added about a week after you started the base mead?

You are stalled at 1.070, what was the starting gravity and this is the batch from 5/25?

And your meter is calibrated?

I decided that I dont trust my ph meter. I bought it at walmart aka cheap crap and I put it into the lime juice and it still reads high. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought this one.
http://www.water-testers.com/contents/en-us/p4325_milwaukee_mw102.html
I hope no bad stuff gets to it before I can get it reved back up.
Thanks for the replies I need all the help I can get....

Did you try changing the battery? That is important too. I got weird readings, even after I calibrated. Changed the battery, all was good.

Got my new toy in yesterday ;) Calibrated it just like it says to do. The ph ends up being 3.04 so thats to low right? Whats next?

Got my new toy in yesterday ;) Calibrated it just like it says to do. The ph ends up being 3.04 so thats to low right? Whats next?
Well, that's low, but not quite dangerously so.

A little potassium carbonate might be in order, as mead type brews often suffer from pH swing, what with a low-ish pH and the build up of carbonic acid during a ferment (a.k.a. dissolved CO2) and some of the other organic acids that form and degrade during the ferment.

at 3.04, that's only what ? 4 to 5 100th's away from the danger zone, so bringing it back up maybe half a point should help some. Certainly take a bit of stress off the yeast.......

Well looks like its back to my lhbs. I need to buy grain anyway. I will raise it up and see what happens.

I brought it up to 3.78 It is starting to show signs of life. This may be the slowest fermentation I have ever seen.

Well I dont know whats up with this batch. It has been sitting at 1.066 for weeks. The ph is at 3.66. I have been stirring it up everyday and it bubbles but still nada. I also repitched another packet of yeast still nada. I was wondering, have I hit the top of the abv tolerance for the yeast? I seemed to be cooking right along until I poured in the agave.

Seems I am just talking to myself here lol.
A couple of things I was wondering about. First the fermentation died when I poured in the agave, maybe they put something in the nectar to stop fermentation? I did research the brand and did not see anything in the ingredients. Or maybe the abv is too high. If this is the case maybe I can freeze concentrate it and the re-pitch into the weaker must.

Back