High Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchias

Reaction score
I understand that if my OG comes out higher that i could dilute to the target OG and produce more beer. But if I leave it at the high number will that produce a higher ABV? This is our second all grain batch.

OG target 1.053
OG actual 1.061

Hi, yes you have the right idea. Your choice if you want more beer or more alcohol %. About 1% ABV difference you have, so nothing too crazy. You can also dilute a day or so into fermentation if you want to (earlier the better and avoid splashing if you wait more than a day).

On the flip side, if you ever end up a little shy of your mark, you can add sugar or malt extract to make up the difference.

If you do ever decide to increase your gravity, leading to a higher ABV, make sure that your yeast can handle the higher ABV as well. Yeast can tolerate only so much alcohol. If the alcohol content of your beer becomes too high for the yeast during fermentation, the alcohol can kill off your yeast, leading to a beer that is not fully attenuated.

If you do dilute the beer to lower the ABV you are also diluting any of the flavors. I like to use a little Caramel malt for flavor in some of my beer but adding water to that beer will definitely change the flavor of that beer.

If you do ever decide to increase your gravity, leading to a higher ABV, make sure that your yeast can handle the higher ABV as well. Yeast can tolerate only so much alcohol. If the alcohol content of your beer becomes too high for the yeast during fermentation, the alcohol can kill off your yeast, leading to a beer that is not fully attenuated.
I used Omega British Ale I which can go as high as 10 ABV. The original recipe target was 6 ABV.

OG target 1.053
OG actual 1.061

The other thing to consider are the hops and any other boil additions. A higher gravity beer will change the perception if hop bitterness. Look at the Ratio of IBU to GU (Gravity Units).

When the OG rises to 1.061 (at target volume) with the same hops, the IBU/GU ratio drops (neglecting a very small change in hop utilization for the higher OG). This results in less perceived hop bitterness and throws off the balance of the recipe. Same effect on spices or other boil additions. This is a problem best solved preboil, once you have a good estimate of postboil SG.

If you cant adjust the boil, dilution works with one caution. As you add volume, the IBU value drops as well so you will probably find a sweet spot with the same IBU/GU ratio and and a bit above target.

Back