High original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

connor21

Reaction score
I added too much sugar to my wort. My og was 1.140. It has been a week and it is now 1.088. My plan was to make apple jack but this batch might be a dud. Could I put half into another carboy and dilute it so that my final product isn't extremely sweet? What other options do I have?

The cyser I just whipped up had an OG of 1.16. I'm guessing if it goes dry, I'm at about 15%. Will definitely jack at least a gallon. I think you'll be ok where you're at. Be careful if you leave it sweet. I've had apple jack blow the cork before. Even at +/- 25% it still was alive.

But won't fermentation stop once it reaches a certain %? If it stops once it reaches 10%, I'll be left with an extremely sweet cider

I'm a noob but I would try using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. With an alcohol tolerance of 18%, you should end up with a FG somewhere just above 1--perhaps 1.002-1.003 (if things work out in practice the way the calculators promise--going from an OG of 1.140 down to exactly 18% ABV).

Like AppleChex has pointed out, there are yeasts with higher alcohol tolerances, but using two different yeasts adds a bit of complications when it comes to taste.

If you are looking for hooch though, just get the strongest resilience you can find and pitch again. You could also dilute now or dilute after it stops and re-pitch the original. This shouldn't be a practice, but it could be a possible correction.

Back