High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LykeAFox

Reaction score
Hi All,

I made a Hazelnut Brown Ale from a partial mash recipe and got an OG of 1.09. This seems incredibly high compared to what I have seen for this type of ale. I was expecting something in the 1.045 range. I used the tube (sterilized) that the hydrometer came in. Could this smaller diameter vessel have had an effect on the reading? The hydrometer did not touch the sides and did not have any air bubbles on it.

Here is the recipe:
6.6 lbs Gold liquid malt extract
1/2 lb British Pale Grain
1/2 lb British Crystal Grain
3/4 lb Cara Pils Grain
1/4 lb Chocolate Grain
1.5 oz Fuggles
1 oz Fuggles
etc

I steeped the grains in a cooler for 60 minutes as per the recipe. Do you think that long steep time could have contributed to the high OG?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

I bet you didn't stir well enough before pulling the sample. The extract tends to glob and settle, and it really needs a thorough mix before measuring the OG. Don't worry, I bet you hit the OG +/- a few points, and the yeast will find all the fermentables and mix them for you.

Agreed. No way that recipe gave that high an OG unless its like a 3gallon batch. Otherwise, your sample simple was from a heavier part of the total volume.

the yeast will get it all mixed for you, no worries there.

its hard to miss on your extract brews, unless the total volume is off. if it was supposed to be 5 gallons, and you have 5 gallons, assume the OG is that of the recipe's prediction, and not the measurement you took.

Latest posts

Back