High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirstyHobbit

Reaction score
Hey everyone- just to note...you all have been SO helpful on this forum!!!

What does it mean when I get an OG higher than the target?

My OG was 8 or so points higher than it should have been. why??

THANKS!!! :mug:

All grain or extract?

All grain = better efficiency than predicted

Extract = poor mixing, that is if you have the correct final volume

When using extract, low and high OGs happen alot, it is HARD to thoroughly mix if you are using top off water. Taking the OG when using extract is really not needed, it will always be what it should be, give or take.

Taking the FG IS ALWAYS important so that bottles dont explode though.

All Grain...so you think I did better at efficiency? I haven't really figured out how to test for that-

All grain or extract?

All grain = better efficiency than predicted

Extract = poor mixing, that is if you have the correct final volume

When using extract, low and high OGs happen alot, it is HARD to thoroughly mix if you are using top off water. Taking the OG when using extract is really not needed, it will always be what it should be, give or take.

Taking the FG IS ALWAYS important so that bottles dont explode though.

If you have the correct amount of wort, and it has a highter OG,then you have higher efficiency than the recipe assumed.

I noticed I got better efficiency when I went all grain, then even better efficiency when I started doing 90 min boils and collecting about 7.5 to 8 gallons of wort. I have a wide pot so boil off is big. I guess collecting more wort means I am rinsing more sugars off the grain, then boiling off to 5.5 gallons. Tell us about your process.

I only collected 5.5 gallons pre-boil. Last batch I did I collected 7. I like collecting MORE wort, because I had to add a gallon of water to get me back up to 5 1/4 gal pitching vol after boil off. Haven't decided what works better- It's only my 2nd AG. What is the easiest way to calculate efficiency?
Thanks!

I noticed I got better efficiency when I went all grain, then even better efficiency when I started doing 90 min boils and collecting about 7.5 to 8 gallons of wort. I have a wide pot so boil off is big. I guess collecting more wort means I am rinsing more sugars off the grain, then boiling off to 5.5 gallons. Tell us about your process.

Back