High OG and amount of yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabwright

Reaction score
Recently I did my first partial mash, I'll list below. I mashed pretty high in order to get some of my sugars to the unfermentable stage to add some body/sugar. My OG ended up being 1.082. I brewed this a week ago and pitched with a pack of s 04. After reading some posts on here I searched out high OG and yeast and have found this may not have been adequate. It is currently reading at 1.040....took a reading after to make sure it was up and going since I became concerned about yeast. It has never been super crazy activity in airlock or anything....krausen has formed and dropped, I realize this really means nothing but thought I'd throw it out there. Basically, my question is do I need to add to it or let it go and do it's thing?
Also, being this is my first go at a partial and not using a kit, I went a little out there with what I brewed. I posted my original idea awhile back and got a lot of good feedback, I know there were many of you who thought it was crazy, I tweaked accordingly with still trying to keep kinda true to myself and this brew. I know it is not really a "style" to speak of but when people ask...what type of beer should I say it sort of fits into? Thanks for everything! Ya'll have been amazing!

6.6 lb dark lme
1lb light dme
1 lb lactose
1 lb dark candi syrup
1 lb flaked barley
1/2 lb crystal 120
1/2 lb honey
1/8 lb black patent
mashed around 160 for about 50 - 60
pitched at 70 with 1 pack s 04 and cooled to 60 to get og at 1.082
I did somehow also end up with only about 4.5 gallons? I swear I added all the water I was supposed to...would that much have boiled off? Should it be topped?

I had the same question about yeast a few weeks ago. My OG was about 1.077 and I also only pitched one pack.

Here's a link to a yeast calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

But the answer I got was you probably underpitched a little, but it still should be ok. Just give them time. My airlock wasn't nuts by any means, but it dropped to the expected OG after 4 or 5 days.

Edit: Do you have an expected OG? Being that its pretty heavy you might have even finished out fermenting by now.

Recently I did my first partial mash, I'll list below. I mashed pretty high in order to get some of my sugars to the unfermentable stage to add some body/sugar. My OG ended up being 1.082. I brewed this a week ago and pitched with a pack of s 04. After reading some posts on here I searched out high OG and yeast and have found this may not have been adequate. It is currently reading at 1.040....took a reading after to make sure it was up and going since I became concerned about yeast. It has never been super crazy activity in airlock or anything....krausen has formed and dropped, I realize this really means nothing but thought I'd throw it out there. Basically, my question is do I need to add to it or let it go and do it's thing?
Also, being this is my first go at a partial and not using a kit, I went a little out there with what I brewed. I posted my original idea awhile back and got a lot of good feedback, I know there were many of you who thought it was crazy, I tweaked accordingly with still trying to keep kinda true to myself and this brew. I know it is not really a "style" to speak of but when people ask...what type of beer should I say it sort of fits into? Thanks for everything! Ya'll have been amazing!

6.6 lb dark lme
1lb light dme
1 lb lactose
1 lb dark candi syrup
1 lb flaked barley
1/2 lb crystal 120
1/2 lb honey
1/8 lb black patent
mashed around 160 for about 50 - 60
pitched at 70 with 1 pack s 04 and cooled to 60 to get og at 1.082

Give it another 2 days and recheck the SG and let us know. If it hasn't moved I would take my mash paddle (cleaned and sanitized) and stir up the yeast cake gently (no need to introduce oxygen into the beer at this point).

I did somehow also end up with only about 4.5 gallons? I swear I added all the water I was supposed to...would that much have boiled off? Should it be topped?

If you hit your numbers and you were going for 1.082 then there is no need to add water. You made the beer you were intending on. Adding water will lower all of your numbers.

You didn't specify your intended FG but I am going to guess you should be able to get this down to 1.021-1.026 with the S-04.

-bn

also included about 3/4 lb of 2 row.

........... That makes more sense. I wondered what you were mashing and how you were converting the Flaked Barley.

I think you either got a bad hydrometer reading, or all your sugars were not mixed, or had a poor mash, because 1.082 seems low in 4.5 gallons.

The extract is 282 points + the sugars (honey, lactose, sugar) is 90 = 372 points. In 4.5 gallons = 82 or a gravity of 1.082.

If you mashed OK and had 70% efficiency you should have gotten around an additional 60 points or 13 points per gallon, giving you an OG of 1.095. Did you mash too high and kill the enzymes?

I don't think you will do much better than 1.027. The lactose adds 7 points of unfermentable wort per gallon straight off the bat. I think I probably commented on your original recipe saying you were crazy to use it. 1.030 may as good as you can get since you mashed high and will have gotten a lot of unfermentable sugars. At 1.040, it probably is not done.

Let it be. Keep it around 70 F and see what it does over the next week.

Back