High Octane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anti-bud

Reaction score
Octane IPA w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast
Octane IPA. This high octane kit is superbly rich in both hop and malt character. Adding 2 ounces of Oak Chips during secondary fermentation will present a faint woodiness that must of have been present in the original IPAs that were sent to British troops in oak casks while stationed in India. Our Minneapolis customers make this kit our number one seller. Ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Caramel 40°L specialty grains, 2 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Willamette, 1 oz. Kent Goldings, oak chips, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag. Octane IPA w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast. The price of this kit has gone up $2.40 due to the increase of hop prices.

.....I'm thinking about brewing this one but i can't figure out what the "octane" part refers to. Anyone? Anyone at all?

According to Midwest:

Recipe For 5 Gallons
SG: 1.064-1.068
FG: 1.012-1.018

I would a assume they are talking about the ABV!

6lbs of LME isnt gonna get you to ANYWHERE close to 1.064. Heck you'll be lucky to break past 1.040. There isnt anything octane about that... well.. low octane maybe.

I think I made that one when I first started brewing - my 3rd batch actually. It was pretty tasty if I remember correctly. I think the High Octane is just a fancy name. I'm guessing they're talking about the big hop flavor? Just a guess.

sirsloop said:
6lbs of LME isnt gonna get you to ANYWHERE close to 1.064. Heck you'll be lucky to break past 1.040. There isnt anything octane about that... well.. low octane maybe.

That's what I was thinking, unless it's less than a 5 gallon batch but I've never seen a kit that was for less than 5 gallons. Maybe you're supposed to add a couple pounds of corn sugar too....:drunk:

I have the kit sitting on my kitchen table and it has 9lbs of extract not 6, might have been a typo or something. Its supposed to be high ABV. After the pain in the ass the muntons caused on my last brew I'm going to use a different yeast though. Since people are looking rather than starting a new thread I'll just ask any suggestions on a yeast to use?

its just a name.....I have brewed this before from midwest and it is a great beer. Let it age for about 5 to 6 months for best turn out

Latest posts

Back