High Oat Content BiaB Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onkel_Udo

Reaction score
So planning to do a beer I have not played with in 14 years...Oatmeal Stout. Part of the reason for the hiatus, only stuck sparge I ever had.

Now I BiaB so I am pretty sure this will not be an issue but anyone gone as high as 16-18% quick oats BiaB? If so, any issues? Modifying my old recipe a bit for my current taste but I can exchange with pale malt one for one if that level of oats will be an issue.

I also BIAB. I've used 1.5-2lb in a 5 gallon batch, 11lb total grain bill. Didn't have a problem. Mashed @ 1.5qts/lb for 90' as I've read flaked oats take a bit longer to convert.

I just did 10% oats in a stout last week with no issues. There's really no such thing as a stuck sparge with BIAB. I did have to squeeze more than usual to get all the wort out of the grains though, so I hope you have a rope and pulley system and strong forearms or some clamps :)

I just did 10% oats in a stout last week with no issues. There's really no such thing as a stuck sparge with BIAB. I did have to squeeze more than usual to get all the wort out of the grains though, so I hope you have a rope and pulley system and strong forearms or some clamps :)

Got a pulley...do not usually squeeze per Wilser's research. With this a 9 gallon batch, would not try it without a good hanging system.

Did you find the absorption rate higher than normal?

Got a pulley...do not usually squeeze per Wilser's research. With this a 9 gallon batch, would not try it without a good hanging system.

Did you find the absorption rate higher than normal?

Yes somewhat, I didn't record it on this batch but it was slightly less than double if I remember correctly.

I'm not familiar with Wilser's research, do you have a link? I'd love a reason not to have to squeeze, but I've seen 10% efficiency boosts that I've attributed to squeezing vs not squeezing in my batches.

Yes somewhat, I didn't record it on this batch but it was slightly less than double if I remember correctly.

I'm not familiar with Wilser's research, do you have a link? I'd love a reason not to have to squeeze, but I've seen 10% efficiency boosts that I've attributed to squeezing vs not squeezing in my batches.

No link but I think it was in sticky on the BiaB page. In short, by letting it hang until boil was done he saw about a cup difference verses squeezing like mad...I did an unofficial test on my last 9-gallon batch (10.5 pre-boil) and could only squeeze out about 3 cups after hanging for 45 minutes of the 60 minute boil (about an hour suspended) into my bucket.

No link but I think it was in sticky on the BiaB page. In short, by letting it hang until boil was done he saw about a cup difference verses squeezing like mad...I did an unofficial test on my last 9-gallon batch (10.5 pre-boil) and could only squeeze out about 3 cups after hanging for 45 minutes of the 60 minute boil (about an hour suspended) into my bucket.

Hm that's good to know. Leaving the bag suspended while I boil isn't very practical for me because of the way my setup is positioned and located, but I'll think on modifying the way I do things. I hate squeezing the damn things! (silicone gloves help a bunch though)

Hm that's good to know. Leaving the bag suspended while I boil isn't very practical for me because of the way my setup is positioned and located, but I'll think on modifying the way I do things. I hate squeezing the damn things! (silicone gloves help a bunch though)

Is suspending it over a bucket an option? I would say or in a colander over a bucket but it seems the slight pressure of being suspended might help.

Brew day went perfectly except for a VERY slow drain from the boil kettle. My hop/trub filter works best with at least two ounces of whole hops but this recipe only had one plus an ounce of Magnum pellets...lesson relearned.

Missed my OG by .002 but I think I am a bit over on my volume (was pretty drunk by the time the second fermeter was finally full because it took forever).

I actually think the extremely thin mash helps with the "gummy" mash that oats creates. 90 minute mash at 153 even though I showed full conversion at 45 minutes.

It is all bubbling away nicely on an old cake of S-04. From experience, it will be done and ready to package in about 5 days.

So on both this and my ordinary bitter I ended up with 65% attenuation with S04 so I think I am ending up with a significantly unfermentable wort...a little more than planned. In the past I have been consistently at 68% when mashing at similar temps in my 3-tier with similar SG and grain bill.

Hydro sample tastes great on both...the bitter being almost exactly what I was after...from vague 20 year old memories.

Stout ended up lighter than expected so have to play with that. I had not used a couple my experimental (for me) dark malts before so it is not surprising. This midnight wheat may have a high Lov but perhaps the crush was not quite as fine as I get with debittered black.

The BiaB learning continues. Next two beers are US05 which tends to ferment out consistently at 83% for my 153 f mash, SG 1.040-1.045...I am betting it will be closer to 80%.

Back