High mash temp - High FG

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Lit

Reaction score
Help!

Facts:

I did a mash at high temp (165F = 74ºC), that went down to (150F = 66ºC) over the course of 2h (was open to let it cool).
I did not know that this could kill enzymes and cause unfermentables that leave a high FG, and that with enzymes dead, there would be no conversion even when lowering the temp.
Pitched at 26 because I didn't have enough patience that day.
Usually my beers end fermentation within 6 days (fermentation temp of 20-21ºC).
Ingredients (Hefeweizen):
6.6 pounds (3kg) pilsen
4.4 pounds (2kg) wheat
3.5oz (100gr) caramunich
OG: 1055
At day 6, the hydrometer reads 1026.
I stired the bucket a bit in hopes that it's stuck fermentation and not unfermentables.

Can this be solved? If not, will it be drinkable?

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
You can add in some amalyse enzyme that does work albeit much more slowly at fermentation temperatures..

Reactions: Lit

m00ps

Reaction score
are you bottling your beers after 6 days usually? That is the least amount of time I've ever heard of...

Im guessing you mean that airlock activity slows after 6 days. You need to give the yeast much longer than that though. Letting the fermentor warm up a bit once fermentation slows usually helps get the FG a bit lower

Reactions: Lit
OP
L

Lit

Reaction score
I usually leave them week and half or two. Day 6 it's today when I made a density reading.

Seems like I can't find low quantity amylase providers in Spain. Bad news for me if it's the only solution.

OP
L

Lit

Reaction score
I've read that honey has amylase that can break some unfermentables. Adding honey would make it drier at the same time.

Could this work? I can't find comercial amylase here, but I can get easily fresh honey.

EDIT: I have proceeded with that idea.

I have also another stuck batch because unfermentables, to which I've added sugar instead of honey.
I will be reporting if the amylase present in honey makes any difference as opposed to sugar that doesn't have any.