High Gravity Yeast WLP099

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I just got back from my LHBS with ingredients for an imperial IPA. They didn't have any of the San Diego Super Yeast so I got WLP099 (high gravity) yeast. My anticipated SG is going to be around 1.088, FG around 1.010. After doing some research on the forum it seems that this stuff can go down to almost 1.000. Not what I had in mind for a FG for the IPA. If I mash higher can I prevent my FG from going too low? Did I screw up getting this yeast?

Thanks.

I just got back from my LHBS with ingredients for an imperial IPA. They didn't have any of the San Diego Super Yeast so I got WLP099 (high gravity) yeast. My anticipated SG is going to be around 1.088, FG around 1.010. After doing some research on the forum it seems that this stuff can go down to almost 1.000. Not what I had in mind for a FG for the IPA. If I mash higher can I prevent my FG from going too low? Did I screw up getting this yeast?

Thanks.

There are some tips on using WLP099 here http://barclayperkins.blogspot.ca/2013/01/lets-brew-wednesday-1896-eldridge-pope.html in the recipe notes and in the comments at the bottom

I don't care for WLP099's flavor profile, I personally think it's a bandaid yeast for people who can't treat their big beers properly. It's not the cleanest strain, but it will make beer. I honestly wouldn't even consider using it in an IPA, even a IIPA. It will probably attenuate much lower than you wanted, though. Any chance of returning it for something else?

I doubt they'll let me return it. I can grab some WLP007 or just 001.

I would hate for the WLP099 to go to waste. What can I do with it? Maybe a small batch of something really strong?

I doubt they'll let me return it. I can grab some WLP007 or just 001.

I would hate for the WLP099 to go to waste. What can I do with it? Maybe a small batch of something really strong?

Buy another yeast if you want and split the batch, fermenting half with the wlp099. You might be able to get away without a starter assuming its only 2.5 gal each.

The guy who wrote that blog post I linked to knows yeasts (he is the guy behind this http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm). If he says its a good yeast, its at least worth 2.5gal of your wort :)

WLP099 gets a bad reputation simply because it's marketed and targeted towards high alcohol beers; which people try to make; and the people making these beers fail to make a drinkable beer, so they brand the yeast as bad.

I've used it in several normal gravity beers with success. (~1.056OG)

1.) Temperature control is a must. If you don't have a temp controlled freezer then you might as well forget it. When it says 65F-69F it means keep it in that range. I set mine for the low end 65F and have never had an over attenuated beer or one with off flavors. At these lower temperatures it seems to be rather neutral leaving a malty profile beer. Let the temp rise into the 70's or even 80's and you'll get the esters and flavors that people dislike.

2.) Using it in a lower gravity beer is easy; Just pitch the vial don't make a starter; Aerate the wort at the beginning but not after; cold crash if necessary at the FG you want. I have also made starters with this yeast and still have not had over attenuation.

If you're making a high alcohol beer you still need the temp control (avoid fusels)! You also need to make a large starter! You also need to aerate more than usual! Follow the tips on the White Labs WLP099 page! They actually work!

Here's the real kicker! If you succeed in making a high alcohol beer you need to use distiller techniques to flavor the ethanol because the malt sugar and hops are no longer enough to cover the high ethanol content. That means aging the beer in light - medium charred oak barrels. This is usually done in barrels that have previously aged rum, bourbon, scotch, etc.. That's how you flavor the ethanol and avoid a mouthful of jet fuel. Hopefully you can do it in such a way that it blends with the beer. That's why beers like Utopias are so coveted. The brewer has found a technique that blends malt/hops/high ethanol/barrel aged flavor together in an acceptable fashion (well at least acceptable to a large enough crowd that it's 'mystique' isn't diminished, I know a lot of folks who don't like Utopias).

WLP099 is a fine yeast. Superb even. It's not for the lazy or the faint of heart. It's not a pitch and walk away yeast, but with a little knowledge, the right equipment and some persistence it makes a damn fine beer.

Well, I brewed an IPA two weeks ago and I pitched the vial of wlp099. OG was 1.064. I took a reading today and it's down to 1.000 (8.5% abv). I took a sample and wow, it's straight ethanol. Undrinkable at this point. Do I have to dump this batch or can I do something to save it? I need to figure out a way to add sugar back into it without the yeast eating it. I mashed at 158, hoping to produce some unfermentable sugars, that wasn't the case. Any ideas are appreciated as I would hate to dump $50+ of ingredients.

Well, I brewed an IPA two weeks ago and I pitched the vial of wlp099. OG was 1.064. I took a reading today and it's down to 1.000 (8.5% abv). I took a sample and wow, it's straight ethanol. Undrinkable at this point. Do I have to dump this batch or can I do something to save it? I need to figure out a way to add sugar back into it without the yeast eating it. I mashed at 158, hoping to produce some unfermentable sugars, that wasn't the case. Any ideas are appreciated as I would hate to dump $50+ of ingredients.

Add lactose and invent the first "milk ipa"? But seriously, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Well... The only way you are gonna get the rocket fuel taste to go away is with time... But you are gonna lose hop flavor by the time its drinkable to your standards. that being said... You still made beer, so bottle and forget about it for 6 months. I wont ever throw away a batch. Unless there's a safety reason.

Well... The only way you are gonna get the rocket fuel taste to go away is with time... But you are gonna lose hop flavor by the time its drinkable to your standards. that being said... You still made beer, so bottle and forget about it for 6 months. I wont ever throw away a batch. Unless there's a safety reason.

Even if the ethanol taste goes away there will be no sugar. I need to back sweeten it somehow without the damn yeast eating it all.

I use this yeast to finish off stuck big beer. No, it won't take your 1.127 bw down to 1.000. It did take mine down to 1.022. It still needs a lot of conditioning time before I can make a call on it.

Back