High Gravity Braggot Yeast, and Other First Braggot Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_white

Reaction score
Here's the recipe I've worked up, https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/837193/imperial-roggenbraggot

Instead of Munich malt extract I'm going to use https://www.northernbrewer.com/coll...roducts/maillard-malts-rye-malt-extract-syrup and I'm going to bochet 1 lb of the honey to dark, 2 lbs golden, and leave 2 lbs raw.

I have Wyeast WLP099 on there but I'm not sure if that would be best and I'm looking for advice on other yeasts that would work better. I've made 16% Cysers before using Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212 but I was thinking a beer yeast would be better for a braggot.

I'm also not sure when to add the malt extract, would it be before the start of the boil with the bocheted honey, or would it benefit from being added at the end/ as feedings with the raw honey?

Liquid Malt Extract often has an oxidized off flavor. You would be much better off making a “tea” with Munich malt (at 160 F for 20 minutes), remove the grains, then add Pilsen Dried Malt Extract (DME) and the beginning of the boil.

I’m guessing you want a Munich malty braggot. US05 will go to 12%+. Wyeast 1388 will go to 15%+. Both would produce a clean product.

Liquid Malt Extract often has an oxidized off flavor. You would be much better off making a “tea” with Munich malt (at 160 F for 20 minutes), remove the grains, then add Pilsen Dried Malt Extract (DME) and the beginning of the boil.

I’m guessing you want a Munich malty braggot. US05 will go to 12%+. Wyeast 1388 will go to 15%+. Both would produce a clean product.
I've updated the recipe to better reflect my plan. Right now it's going to about 16.5 % (for some reason adding the bochet honey as seperate items raises the FG which it shouldn't) so it would be pushing the 1388.

A 2 liter starter of Wyeast 1388 will easily bring you to that FG if you add nutrients.

It says rye now. I’m not sure what to say other than I stand by not using LME. Please don’t learn the hard way like I did.

Back