High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for a year, last month was a year since it was delivered. At times I wish I had gone bigger than the 62 liter kettle though. Had I waited the detachable Blichmann elements would be what I definitely would get.

Other than that I couldn't be any happier with the ease of automation it's added to my brewing. I'm drinking an IPA that I brewed on the system 4 weeks ago and I'm very happy with how it turned out. It tastes exactly like to two previous batches I've brewed this summer.

Then there was those quick disconnects with the plastic cross to block the worth flow, since replacing them I haven't had a clogged line yet.

I also have a high gravity system, but only for a couple of months. My brew day is about 3 hours now. I love it and would recommend it. I didn't have the skill set to build my own. I know alot of people say it is t a great value based on cost of parts, but it is a great value compared to eBIAB systems out there that come pre packaged and ready to go.

To yous guys that Have a High Gravity Control panel

I am looking to buy the EBC III

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/EBC-III-with-Infinite-Power-Control-158p3858.htm

How big is it?

I am looking to get something to mount it on the wall
Like a LCD monitor mount or something.

Anyone NOT happy with the EBC III?

Thanks
S

as far as build quality and value you may want to look at something like this...it have a built in breaker, support for a second pump and added indicator lights for hundreds less$ .

http://brumatic.com/BRU-matic-DBC-2PM30-DBC-2PM30.htm

many have purchased from him and he is a long time member here...

There has to be good reason no one will post photos of the inside of the high gravity setups...

There is a thread here if you do a search where someone had isues with theirs. so they opened the cover and found the components had been installed with a hot glue gun and speaker wire.... NOT GOOD You wont likely have issue Until you have a meltdown.

as far as build quality and value you may want to look at something like this...it have a built in breaker, support for a second pump and added indicator lights for hundreds less$ .

http://brumatic.com/BRU-matic-DBC-2PM30-DBC-2PM30.htm

many have purchased from him and he is a long time member here...

There has to be good reason no one will post photos of the inside of the high gravity setups...

There is a thread here if you do a search where someone had isues with theirs. so they opened the cover and found the components had been installed with a hot glue gun and speaker wire.... NOT GOOD You wont likely have issue Until you have a meltdown.

Augiedoggy

You have continued to promote Brumatics work - are you Brumatic ?? ( brother in law?)

I have tried to contact Brumatic 4 times - got no reply
twice threw HBT - here with private messages
twice threw eBay - were he sells the controllers

I have gotten No Replies.

I got a reply from Dave Knot at High Gravity with in 1/2 hour of my email.

So, Dave wins on Customer Service.

I have not ordered yet - my decision will be soon, but

HGB - only 15 days to build, ship
Bruamtic - states it may be 3 months until ship

For the record the EBC III is 8 x 8 x 4 inches - the 4 being the depth measure.
I am looking to get a LCD Monitor mount to fly my controller away from the wall, that why in need to know.

my 2 cents
Steve

Augiedoggy

You have continued to promote Brumatics work - are you Brumatic ?? ( brother in law?)

I have tried to contact Brumatic 4 times - got no reply
twice threw HBT - here with private messages
twice threw eBay - were he sells the controllers

I have gotten No Replies.

I got a reply from Dave Knot at High Gravity with in 1/2 hour of my email.

So, Dave wins on Customer Service.

I have not ordered yet - my decision will be soon, but

HGB - only 15 days to build, ship
Bruamtic - states it may be 3 months until ship

For the record the EBC III is 8 x 8 x 4 inches - the 4 being the depth measure.
I am looking to get a LCD Monitor mount to fly my controller away from the wall, that why in need to know.

my 2 cents
Steve

No I dont know him nor have I ever bought from him..I just think his products are better built than many for a much better pricepoint.
You can always purchase one he already has built here from his ebay store?

The HGB unit is likely so small because its built to be compact and disposable with glued in components. I also read they use regular relays instead of ssr units but I would be suprised if thats true with people using them for over a year without issue. I believe the pids themselves are 4" deep so im even suprised it fits... look at all the others with as much functionality. They are larger for a reason. if you want to be able to remove components and do repairs you need space. the 50 cent switches he uses are also much smaller than others usually use... I have used those same switches but only trust them for smaller dc loads.

the HGB uses home depot electric boxes... so does brumatic only he uses the next size up (12x12x6 )because there is more functionality and safety features in his equivilent unit from what I can see... I used a few of the same enclosures in my builds.

I cant even find the second 240v element plug on the $800 HGB unit you linked? or does it only control one 240v element and the other being 120v 15a only? in that case there are even cheaper options out there since you can built that for about $125 in parts.

If I was making $ 5-600 in profit on every unit I sold I would be all over replying to inquiries quickly too! think about it... just like a salesman at a car lot that stands to make more easy money off you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brumatic-DB...ff4950e&pid=100009&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=221425538910

there are many others... I cant find the link to the other one I liked but

Not having to know whats inside of the EBC-SV controller is the main reason I decided to purchase one in the first place. When the 220v heating element turns on or off its silent, there is no 'clicking' sound like you would expect to hear on a mechanical relay.

I have seen drywall and plywood fastened using an adhesive in houses so using hot glue or epoxy to fasten a few small electronic parts isn't a concern. After brewing with mine for over a year now I still love the system's ease of use, reliability and High Gravity's level of customer service. I guess I am what is known as a satisfied customer.

Not having to know what's inside of the EBC-SV controller is the main reason I decided to purchase one in the first place. When the 220v heating element turns on or off its silent, there is no 'clicking' sound like you would expect to hear on a mechanical relay.

I have seen drywall and plywood fastened using an adhesive in houses so using hot glue to fasten a few small electronic parts isn't a concern. After brewing with mine for over a year now I still love system's the ease of use, reliability and level of customer service. I guess I am what is known as a satisfied customer.

So ignorance it bliss then Eh? I like the disclaimer they used to have (and may still do?) on High gravities site stating this is sold as a DIY kit and they take no responsibility for problems that it may cause (like your house going up in flames)... Doesnt give me warm fuzzies... this was the reason they didnt use to install the plugs on the end so technically they didnt finish it and absolve themselves of legal responsibility...

If I was spending that kind of money I would expect the manufactuer to stand behind it... Hell for that markup it should be UL certified and listed which its not because it very likely would pass (if they use speaker wire for power cable is certainly voids the safety rules)

So ignorance it bliss then Eh? I like the disclaimer they used to have (and may still do?) on High gravities site stating this is sold as a DIY kit and they take no responsibility for problems that it may cause (like your house going up in flames)... Doesnt give me warm fuzzies... this was the reason they didnt use to install the plugs on the end so technically they didnt finish it and absolve themselves of legal responsibility...

If I was spending that kind of money I would expect the manufactuer to stand behind it... Hell for that markup it should be UL certified and listed which its not because it very likely would pass (if they use speaker wire for power cable is certainly voids the safety rules)

I had a neighbor who used to trash talk ride on lawnmowers because according to him they were too heavy to roll over a lawn, even though he never actually owned a ride on mower.

I had a neighbor who used to trash talk ride on lawnmowers because according to him they were too heavy to roll over a lawn, even though he never actually owned a ride on mower.

Well I do own an electric brewery...With a panel 3 element /3 speed controlled pump setup that I built actually for $300 instead of buying one.. And Ive built a couple now So yeah it sort of gives me some qualifications to scrutinize things like the components and the way it was built vs the cost. vs an owner who is just trying to justify his purchase and doesnt even want to know how safely the thing is put together "Just because it works" I expect you to be bias and defend your purchase... if you really werent concerned you would just post a picture of the inside already and show us what they $800 really bought you.

Not sure where your going with this , Critics are not allowed only praise you should have mentioned that all you want. I would think this info would be useful to perspective buyers and owners who care about possibly unsafe wiring and shortcuts.... As far as prebuilt electric control panels for the HGB has two things working against it... They are made of the cheapest components compared to others yet sold at the highest premium feature per feature.

I'm sorry but that my opinion and people come here asking for info as well as feedback on the system.

They have great marketing skills and yes its aggravating to me that it appears to be more important than the quality and prices of their "use at your own risk" "diy" products...

This is your thread so out of respect for that I will leave it and you alone.
I was trying to not comment on your comments but the whole "im better off not knowing whats in it because it works" was too much especially when the people that make it sell make YOU the owner solely responsible for it or any issues with it if it fails. hot glue gun glueing components that heat up while being used like relays can cause the glue to melt and things to fall out of place and posts/terminals to short... this could be dangerous if its truely the way its assembled so yeah I'm gonna be vocal about it till someone posts a damn pic to prove me wrong and shut me up.

Augiedoggy

I simply asked HGB owners what size their unit was
as i am looking for a way to hang it on a wall

And you came right out and bashed High Gravity products

So, it certainly looks like you have an ax to grind.

I have not made my purchase yet, still looking, there are others out there

And i stated that I have received Great Customer service from Dave at HG
While i have not gotten ANY replies to several emails from Brumatic

Brumatics product looks great - and hey i would save $300 vs EBC III
Two elements vs one !

But, i am not going to drop over $500 buck on Ebay
and wait for a delivery that is 3 months out - because he has never replied to an email

I am only pointing out that Brumatic needs to up his Customer Service game
?????

my 2 cents

Augiedoggy

do you make panels ? ( maybe you should )

How much would you charge for something like the EBC III
or the Brumatic DBC-2PM30 ?

I can not read an electrical diagram like PJ has done over 100 !~

S

Augiedoggy

Two elements vs one !

and wait for a delivery that is 3 months out - because he has never replied to an email

?????

my 2 cents
I get what your saying... Yeah I stated all the reasons I dont care for the HG units. If what I have been told is true they arent even safe to use so yeah... and I agree sounds like brumatic might need to be more responsive to POTENTIAL customers..

as far as ebay ....If you dont know how ebay works I can share two things that may help.

A, the product shows an expected ship and delivery date. (oct 2-9) you can see from his other feedback from others who have bought them whether he delivers ontime.

B, if you dont receive it by then or arent satisfied with it you can have paypal refund your money...

I have made over 1,000 purchases there with only 2 bad experiences and I got my money back both times.

I really have nothing to gain or lose either way... I simply suggested him because others who have bought from him always seemed to post positive experiences...
I suppose you could start a thread asking about his products and support if you were still considering them.

@Augiedoggy geez man chill out. I'm just saying you didn't buy the unit that your trashing, like I and the others did, so it seems a bit skeptical as to why you are.

IMHO if you want to make a legitimate point buy the unit, tear it down and then feel free to tear it apart based on your critique.

Augiedoggy

do you make panels ? ( maybe you should )

How much would you charge for something like the EBC III
or the Brumatic DBC-2PM30 ?

I can not read an electrical diagram like PJ has done over 100 !~

S

I do but I dont really make them for profit.
I am just finishing a two element (one pid one manual ssvr controlled element as well as two speed controlled DC pumps.)
I am making it for a friend but I can say that even with the two pumps and probes I have less than $160 in the whole build. and thats with 2 digital temp readouts and a volt/amp meter. And the correct type / size wire has been used as well as screws to hold everything in place. all my connectors are also rated for the current they will see too.

these can be a pain to wire up so I dont blame people for buying them. I'm just trying to steer people away from what I strongly see and a bad choice... its their choice though it doesnt change the fact of whether what I said is true or not.

A picture of the inside would really help other make their choices too. What if theguy who told me all the negative stuff about his experiences with his had an agenda and was lying? I dont know all I have it what I can see myself which has Cheap hardware with the Highest gravity pricing written all over it.

@Augiedoggy geez man chill out. I'm just saying you didn't buy the unit that your trashing, like I and the others did, so it seems a bit skeptical as to why you are.

IMHO if you want to make a legitimate point buy the unit, tear it down and then feel free to tear it apart based on your critique.

I dont really have to..someone else already did in another thread about them.
I'm on here a lot more so when someone asks I share both what I was told and what I know of them... What I know of them is this. Every component but the pid that I can see from the outside is the cheapest lowest cost option to achieve its goals... It IS a budget built controller but its being sold for what you would expect something Kal built to sell for with all top dollar parts... hearing the comments about speaker wire and hot glued components just added insult to injury...

honestly Id rather be wrong and find the high gravity units are built at least in a safely manner and eat crow in that respect then be right and have someones house burn down from one.

I dont really have to..someone else already did in another thread about them.
I'm on here a lot more so when someone asks I share both what I was told and what I know of them... What I know of them is this. Every component but the pid that I can see from the outside is the cheapest lowest cost option to achieve its goals... It IS a budget built controller but its being sold for what you would expect something Kal built to sell for with all top dollar parts... hearing the comments about speaker wire and hot glued components just added insult to injury...

honestly Id rather be wrong and find the high gravity units are built at least in a safely manner and eat crow in that respect then be right and have someones house burn down from one.

I can't find the post where someone tore apart the controller and showed the components. Can you share a link?

I can't find the post where someone tore apart the controller and showed the components. Can you share a link?

it was a series of posts actually in another thread... there were no pics (if you read everything Ive been saying you would see thats why im asking for one.)
I'm not going to search for it myself. I already read it. if you use the search function you will find it.

it was a series of posts actually in another thread... there were no pics (if you read everything Ive been saying you would see thats why im asking for one.)
I'm not going to search for it myself. I already read it. if you use the search function you will find it.

There is no need to get defensive. I haven't read this entire thread as it is quite lengthy. I did search for it and was unable to find it. I thought since you mentioned it several times that you might be able to direct us to your reference.

There is no need to get defensive. I haven't read this entire thread as it is quite lengthy. I did search for it and was unable to find it. I thought since you mentioned it several times that you might be able to direct us to your reference.

Sorry. heres a thread where someone with one chimed in. although this one states the stuff is epoxied in (permanently) making it really tough to repair anything but safer as least.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494787&highlight=high+gravity+brewing&page=4

Until someone actually opens one up so we can see how and what is used no one knows for sure since some people may know less about what they are looking at than others. Also theres a good chance they have improves things over time from earlier problems as the quoted email suggests.

Sorry. heres a thread where someone with one chimed in. although this one states the stuff is epoxied in (permanently) making it really tough to repair anything but safer as least.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=494787&highlight=high+gravity+brewing&page=4

Until someone actually opens one up so we can see how and what is used no one knows for sure since some people may know less about what they are looking at than others. Also theres a good chance they have improves things over time from earlier problems as the quoted email suggests.

As someone who is ignorant on this topic but has read your posts in several threads, it does sound like you have an issue HG.

You hold firm on the negative opinion based on what you can see, which is fine. But you then add to that with info that you can't confirm or see. You won't believe the happy customers based on their feedback because they don't show you anything, but you believe the one person who have negative feedback, yet never provided anything you could see either. You basically play it both ways to suit your opinion.

IMHO you'd have more impact if you just stuck with the facts and with the features compared to other similar panels. I have no idea how to recognize the cost of the parts by just looking at the pictures but if they really add up to what you say then just keep pointing that out along with better priced equal function products. Bringing up the mystery speaker wire rumor and being dramatic about no one showing the insides over and over again doesn't really help.

As someone who is ignorant on this topic but has read your posts in several threads, it does sound like you have an issue HG.

You hold firm on the negative opinion based on what you can see, which is fine. But you then add to that with info that you can't confirm or see. You won't believe the happy customers based on their feedback because they don't show you anything, but you believe the one person who have negative feedback, yet never provided anything you could see either. You basically play it both ways to suit your opinion.

IMHO you'd have more impact if you just stuck with the facts and with the features compared to other similar panels. I have no idea how to recognize the cost of the parts by just looking at the pictures but if they really add up to what you say then just keep pointing that out along with better priced equal function products. Bringing up the mystery speaker wire rumor and being dramatic about no one showing the insides over and over again doesn't really help.

Thats what people stated they found in their panels here I dont own one so cant confirm that... but the cheesy build quality along with the low budget components paired with such high purchase costs SHOULD be enough of a deterrent to most.

I dont need to have any impact, I have no personal stake in them one way or the other, I think they are a ripoff and state what Ive read HERE about them as well as what I can confirm about them. I let people here take ALL that info and use it as they see fit.

Why revive yet another thread on this when we are both posting in the other already.

Again, spoken from someone who personally owns a HG system and uses it to brew 5/6 batches a month - it works great. No speculation needed... and no it isn't over priced for someone like me who does not have the skill set to build their own.

They provide a service, and for that service the market sets the price. Consider me the market, and I was OK with the price.

Therefore, it is not overpriced.

Thats what people stated they found in their panels here I dont own one so cant confirm that... but the cheesy build quality along with the low budget components paired with such high purchase costs SHOULD be enough of a deterrent to most.

This is a good example. I'm not sure what you mean by this but it sounds contradictory. You can't confirm what other found but in the same sentence you almost announce that the build quality is cheesy. AFAIK you believe the build quality to be poor based on something you haven't confirmed. You've mentioned that build quality as an issue nearly as much as your visual evaluation of the components, which gives them equal weight to the casual reader. You can't confirm it but you often bring it up as a negative along side what you can confirm. This is having your cake and eating it too.

If your evaluation of the components is accurate, and your price comparison to similar products is relevant, then THAT SHOULD be enough to make your case without relying on the hyperbole.

I say all this just so you know how it sounds. I thought it might explain to you the feedback you are getting.

This is a good example. I'm not sure what you mean by this but it sounds contradictory. You can't confirm what other found but in the same sentence you almost announce that the build quality is cheesy. AFAIK you believe the build quality to be poor based on something you haven't confirmed. You've mentioned that build quality as an issue nearly as much as your visual evaluation of the components, which gives them equal weight to the casual reader. You can't confirm it but you often bring it up as a negative along side what you can confirm. This is having your cake and eating it too.

If your evaluation of the components is accurate, and your price comparison to similar products is relevant, then THAT SHOULD be enough to make your case without relying on the hyperbole.

I say all this just so you know how it sounds. I thought it might explain to you the feedback you are getting.
What are you talking about,
It Is cheesy because of the super cheap 50 cent switches and homedepot enclosure accompanied with the either epoxy or hot glue gun relay installation which I'm confident from multiple people mentioning this is being used.... Did you not see the pic kal posted? If this was a $4-500 panel I would be a bit less critical of the shortcuts and cheap component used.And until seeing kals picture I only had another member heres testimony and complaints to go on since no one will look.
I have a much more complicated budget built control panel that cost me under $300 to build and I used cheaper yet properly rated components.... If I were to start selling these at $2,000 a piece which would be on par with the markups HG is charging for the $150 in components they assemble I would expect someone to call me out on taking advantage and overcharging.... My panel would be cheesy too at that kind of price point.

Again, spoken from someone who personally owns a HG system and uses it to brew 5/6 batches a month - it works great. No speculation needed... and no it isn't over priced for someone like me who does not have the skill set to build their own.

They provide a service, and for that service the market sets the price. Consider me the market, and I was OK with the price.

Therefore, it is not overpriced.

Whether it work or not can have little to do with whether it's built poorly or overpriced...
They are priced higher that the "market " when you compared pretty much every other sold solution out there...
A brewboss for example had more time and effort put into its development than just coping someone here's generic DIY build and building one for $150 and selling at a 600% markup over component cost.
You can buy a gold plated chain for $50 and it will "Work" just as well as a real one but wouldn't you be pissed if you paid $900 for that chain only to find it was good plated copper?
If we see a gold chain advertise for $50 we expect it to be cheap and gold plated... If it was $900 we expect it to be solid gold.... Same principle applies here... If it's being sold for $900 it shouldn't be thrown together as cheaply as possible with the cheapest parts available costing a fraction of that.

Oh hello speculation, great to see you again.

What speculation exactly? The only thing im not sure of is how the relays are secured... I've read twice now in two different threads here that they are glued in. are there screw holes on the back? if not they are likely glued unless you know another way to secure them... Its possible they used din mount components and glued the din rail but I highly doubt that considering the cheap nature of all other components used. plus the photo Kal shared does not show this.

I AM sure on everything else including component costs.

whatever makes you feel better about your purchase I guess.
How about the speculations made based on the fact its still working and youve had no issues yet? wow a bit hypocritical huh?

Augiedoggy

Two elements vs one !

?????

my 2 cents

I was out of country for half a year , so that's why I set 3 month waiting time (I had a chance to be back at home every 2 month)
As about e-mails I always answered e-mails sent from eBay or brumatic.com. I haven't got any such e-mails from you. This site was banned at place were I was so I wasn't able to read HBT private messages.

I'm back now and will start normal operation next week. Lead time is about 2-3 weeks.

Regards,
Alex

This is Dave from High Gravity. I don't post much, in fact I had to reset my password to login.

We have always let our customers speak about their own experience with us and our products. A happy customer might tell a friend or two. An unhappy one will tell the world.

We build controllers for people that don't want to build their own. We have been building controllers for a decade, and we are always improving them.

We take care of everything we build as long as you own it. If you have a nine year old controller and have a problem, all you have to do is send it to me. We'll repair it and send it right back.

We have always favored analog power control for the kettle vs manual control mode on a PID using up/down arrows. All of our controllers feature this, and there was a time (until around 5 years ago) when we built our own power control module with discrete components (TRIAC based with a DIAC trigger for symmetrical firing). We did use a short run of 10 gauge speaker wire during part of this period because it was much easier to solder to the board. These days we use a 40A SSVR for the 240V controllers, and a 25A SSVR for the 120V controllers.

Some of our controllers also have mechanical relays (we have not glued them in for several years). In some models these relays are used to switch the other hot leg off when the heat is switched off to ensure that the receptacle is completely de-energized when the heat switch is off. Some controllers out there only switch one of the hot legs. The EBC III-D uses a 30A double-pole relay to switch the HLT heat on/off, and a 25A relay for the Pump1 output in case you want to plug a 120V RIMS heating element in instead. Mechanical relays are used where switching is infrequent, and normally last for many years. If one fails we replace it.

The cost of the components for any of our controllers vs the retail price of the finished unit is in line with typical retail store pricing, and we still have to put them together. You can save money if you want to build it yourself, and your time is free. You may just enjoy designing/building it.

There are now many choices available for those who would rather not build their own controller. We know a lot of the guys putting these together, and we all have our own approach. You should take a look at all of them and decide what fits you best.

This is Dave from High Gravity. I don't post much, in fact I had to reset my password to login.

We have always let our customers speak about their own experience with us and our products. A happy customer might tell a friend or two. An unhappy one will tell the world.

We build controllers for people that don't want to build their own. We have been building controllers for a decade, and we are always improving them.

We take care of everything we build as long as you own it. If you have a nine year old controller and have a problem, all you have to do is send it to me. We'll repair it and send it right back.

We have always favored analog power control for the kettle vs manual control mode on a PID using up/down arrows. All of our controllers feature this, and there was a time (until around 5 years ago) when we built our own power control module with discrete components (TRIAC based with a DIAC trigger for symmetrical firing). We did use a short run of 10 gauge speaker wire during part of this period because it was much easier to solder to the board. These days we use a 40A SSVR for the 240V controllers, and a 25A SSVR for the 120V controllers.

Some of our controllers also have mechanical relays (we have not glued them in for several years). In some models these relays are used to switch the other hot leg off when the heat is switched off to ensure that the receptacle is completely de-energized when the heat switch is off. Some controllers out there only switch one of the hot legs. The EBC III-D uses a 30A double-pole relay to switch the HLT heat on/off, and a 25A relay for the Pump1 output in case you want to plug a 120V RIMS heating element in instead. Mechanical relays are used where switching is infrequent, and normally last for many years. If one fails we replace it.

The cost of the components for any of our controllers vs the retail price of the finished unit is in line with typical retail store pricing, and we still have to put them together. You can save money if you want to build it yourself, and your time is free. You may just enjoy designing/building it.

There are now many choices available for those who would rather not build their own controller. We know a lot of the guys putting these together, and we all have our own approach. You should take a look at all of them and decide what fits you best.

Thank you for being honest and setting the record straight. Its good to here they have been improved on and the issues addressed.

Dave, thanks for sharing. I've been looking at your setups and it seems you've got a great product that, to me, is very worth it. I'd rather be out on the boat than trying to put a controller together!

Got an email from High Gravity the other day. As with most things we buy we like our freebies, with purchase of eBIAB sys. will receive a free refractometer and mash paddle till the end of November. Can't wait for my first SS check on 25 November.:ban::ban:

Back