High gravity beer tasting wort and gravity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I made a batch of a wheat ipa, I can post the recipe but it used wheat LME, flaked oats and wheat and some 2 row along with cascade and citra hops.
I can post exact recipe if needed.

I used dry safale 05 no starter pitched from the pack.
OG was 1.090

At 2 weeks in it was at 7.62% forget exact gravity and was still very sweet

About a week later its at 1.023 gravity
I've been fermenting under pressure at about 6psi and the 1.023 would mean my attenuation is about 73% which I'm guessing for safeale 05 is ok or average, so do you think it's done or needs to sit longer?

I was gonna dry hop today with 2oz citra and a .5 oz cascade

Also I tested the sample and it was a little sour at the end. It smells fruity and nice and taste ok up front but a little sour at the end, anyone have any idea what that might be from? I did pitch my yeast a little too warm 90ish degrees

1.090 is a pretty big beer. For a beer in that range, one pack of S-05 is an underpitch (and temp control and oxygenation are pretty important). 3 weeks in t he fermenter is probably a minimum for that beer, and another week in the fermenter might not be a bad thing. It is hard to say what the sour flavor comes from...but 90F pitch temp and high fermentation temps can add flavors.

Back