High Flocculation Yeast - Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I still a few weeks away from bottling my first batch. I Used a Brewers Best English Brown Ale Kit but substituted White Labs British Ale Yeast WLP005. The WL site reviews of the yeast indicate that it is a very high flocculator and they recommend swirling the fermentor to stir-up the yeast from the bottom to make sure fermentation is complete. That said should I be concerned about having to little active yeast for carbonation in the bottles after I rack out of the primary into a secondary then into bottles? Should I skip the secondary?

I have used a few high Floc yeasts and never had a problem when I bottled, and I usually secondary. You should get enough yeast leftover when you bottle that it will be ok. I have found that my carbonation takes a little longer because I carb my beers at about 63, so its a little cold and I secondary and cold crash, takes about a month for mine to carb fully

Even with a highly flocculating yeast there will still be plenty left in suspension to carbonate the beer, don't worry about stirring it up before bottling. Rack to secondary and leave as much trub behind as possible, likewise for racking to the bottling bucket.

Congrats on the first batch! :mug:

If the yeast is so flocculent it may not finish up the fermentation, I would probably suck up some from the bottom of the secondary when racking to the bottling bucket - just to make sure. Not a lot, just a second or two with the siphon.

I almost always do this anyway. I'm not sure why. Just to make sure I really do get enough yeast into the beer to carbonate I guess. I worry about this sometimes, especially with highly flocculent yeast.

I've used WLP005 a number of times and never had a carbing issue, but adding a tiny bit of yeast from the trub won't hurt. It will settle out in the bottle as well, at worst you just have a little bit of extra sediment.

Thanks for the tips.
I guess what boils down to is that by trying to improve a kit before trying it I basically delayed my first taste of my own brew by 2-3 weeks. Oh well I'm sure it will still be great.

Back