High finishing gravity or stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
I have a batch that started around 1.08, and after five days in the bucket (2 days of solid bubbles) it's sitting around 1.28. Can a high gravity beer finish that high, will an extra week in the bucket help, or should I re-pitch? It was an imperial stout with a bit of adjuncts that I mini-mashed.

Thanks.

I would let it sit longer. If it was that active, it will settle out in a week or so. Cheers!

What's the recipe, and what yeast did you use? It probably will drop a few more points regardless, but it would really depend on the amount of unfermentables you used and the attenuation % of the yeast.

For a beer of 1.080, I'd leave it in primary at least three weeks before doing anything with it.

The yeast was 1728 (Scottish Ale) with a listed attenuation of 69-73%, fermented at about 70 degrees. The 3 gallon batch had 6 lbs. of LME, in addition to toasted flaked oats, barley, rye and wheat, with some pale malt and roasted malt adjuncts.

Just added a touch of honey to get the yeast excited again.

Time heals all wounds-well, most when it comes to beer. Being patient is the hard part.

Time heals all wounds-well, most when it comes to beer. Being patient is the hard part.

Despite adding a small bit of honey to appease the yeast and get things going, it appears to still be at 1.028 after two more weeks. On the plus side, it does smell really good...:D

Despite adding a small bit of honey to appease the yeast and get things going, it appears to still be at 1.028 after two more weeks. On the plus side, it does smell really good...:D

According to something else I saw online, even the rich Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has a gravity of 1.02 and a higher OG of 1.96.

Ok: further experimentation reveals (according to my hydrometer) that BCS is 1.03.

deffinitly leave it be. It should drop a little bit more before its finished, Plus more times not gonna hurt it at all.

deffinitly leave it be. It should drop a little bit more before its finished, Plus more times not gonna hurt it at all.

It's now been in the primary at least a month, but still unchanged at roughly 1.028. If I bottle now, is it asking for trouble? Would love to free up the fermenting bucket for something else.

It's now been in the primary at least a month, but still unchanged at roughly 1.028. If I bottle now, is it asking for trouble? Would love to free up the fermenting bucket for something else.

I just had a similar situation...a beer stuck after a month at 1.030...(I'm not sure if it was the bottle harvested Bell's yeast or a drop in temp in my place, but after 4 weeks, I'd say it was stuck)...And I don't bottle anything over 1.020....

I just added a half packet of US-05 to it...We'll see next week.

Back