high finishing gravities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
i have done a Helles lager, and a schwartzbier lager both extract kits from Northern Brewer. Each of them have finished at higher than I would expect. The Helles at .16 and the schwartz today to the secondary after 3 weeks at 50 degrees, and finishing at 20. I measured gravity when they were at 50 degrees but that is not enough to drop them THAT low. I realize they are malty in style, and lower alcohol. Any comments?

You mean 1.016 and 1.020??

If so, that's not that bad. A lot of factors play in here-- how dextrinous your wort was, what kind of mash schedule (or extract) you are using, and what kind of yeast.

Overall, that doesn't seem bad to me. Have you tried a taste?? If it tastes too sweet, it may indeed be a bit high.

I use some yeasts that just don't attenuate well sometimes, and expect a 1.020, or sometimes a little higher if I want a little residual maltiness or sweetness to come through.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about it.

yes 1.016 and1.020. I have had one out of the bottle and it is not too sweet, but in my understanding the alcohol content is a bit lower than it should be? I mean, i am trying to get a buzz as well as great taste.

Let me get this straight---you only had it in the secondary for 3 weeks then bottled? IMO, your brew's not done.

There's a difference between sweet and malty.

I leave my lagers in a secondary for up to 3 months and those aren't high gravity to start with.

Earlier this year I split a 10 gallon batch with a friend. We also split the english ale yeast (not sure which one) from his starter. His finished at 1.013, mine finished at 1.020. SG was 1.050. The only difference was that he fermented at 68 degrees, and I was closer to 57. I even warmed it up to 70 and repitched with a nottingham starter with no success. That batch ended up being one of my best ever.

I left helles in primary 2 weeks, and secondary for 4 in 36 degrees. The schwartz went INTO secondary after 3 weeks. I will leave it in the 36 degrees for as long as possible.

Back