High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auto

ARC Brewing
Reaction score
I do not seem to be "finishing" when it comes to the FG. Example, on the Blue Balls recipe FG is at 1005, and I am seem to be stuck at 1012-1014. I finished a Pale Ale recently that did not hit what I (beersmith) had estimated FG at. Any thoughts?

Well, at 1.012 or so, that is finished. If you're getting poor attenuation, that could be from unhealthy yeast, or high mash temperatures. But in order to really see what's going on, giving more information is helpful. Could you post the recipe, technique, and yeast info, and then we can see where you're having difficulties.

I think that 1.005 is pretty unrealistic for most beers- that is DRY! I've had some go as low as 1.007 or 1.008, and not on purpose, though.

Well, at 1.012 or so, that is finished. If you're getting poor attenuation, that could be from unhealthy yeast, or high mash temperatures. But in order to really see what's going on, giving more information is helpful. Could you post the recipe, technique, and yeast info, and then we can see where you're having difficulties.

I think that 1.005 is pretty unrealistic for most beers- that is DRY! I've had some go as low as 1.007 or 1.008, and not on purpose, though.

So sorry, I am in a field that demands detail. The FG is supposed to be 1008, so i am not so far off.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs400
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.007
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
IBU: 17
Color: 4.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5

Recipe: Belgian Wit
Brewer: BierMuncher
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0) Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM

Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

and have you calibrated your thermometer? if your mash temp was 'close' but the thermometer is off 5 degrees, you can end up with a less (or more) fermentable wort that'll cause you to miss or over shoot the FG of the recipe.

auto - I just made a posting on my laziest yeast ever - WLP400. It is still fermenting after 3+ weeks. Looks done but the SG is still going down 1-2 every three days.
I would just say give it some more time.

Back