High FG!??!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire_travels

Reaction score
Ok here’s what I have

IPA and coffee stout both are PM Both brews I missed the OG by almost 20 points (1.034)

The OG was meant to be 1.059-1.060 F.G. 1.012-1.013

both brews also fermented great for about a week (good blow off and everything)fermentation was almost done very little activity in the airlock I racked to brews to a secondary and put the secondary at about 60 Fthe next day they were still a little airlock activity( I thought that was pretty normal)I left them alone for a week and a half and the room I had them in, i found out ended up staying at about 54F with very cold weather outside.

I took a hydro sample and it read 1.020! Seemed high and with the cold temps I figured that I should warm up the carboys and give it some more time! Early this last week I took another hydro sample and it sill was at 1.020 again.. to figure this out I took my sanitized long handle spoon and rousted the yeast on the bottom and left them

until today...just to find out that the s.g. is still at 1.020
ooo and this is for both carboys the other thing is my original hydrometer that I used on brew day broke!! And I am using a new hydrometer to check the S.G. now!

I am thinking of getting some addition yeast and repitching! or just bottle and put the beer some ware if it blows it wont hurt anything!

Any ideals or help would be great!

Sorry this is getting long but I mashed my grains for 1 hour at about 157 F and batch sparged and it fermented at around 70 F

157F makes for low fermentability and high final gravities. I don't think more yeast will help. They've been at 1.020 long enough it will be safe to bottle.

If you really want to push the gravity down, you'll have to add alpha enzyme concentrate to break down the unfermentables.

partial mash...so, a partial boil too?

if so, I doubt your OG's were that low, and think that they were just bad readings because your top off water wasn't mixed in with the wort evenly.

Back