High FG with Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I've been around here long enough to know what kind of response should be coming back from this post but I also always seem to learn something from this forum so here goes.

I bottled my Old Ale (largely based on Orfry's HobGoblin Clone) yesterday and the FG was 1.020 (OG 1.060). It had fermented for 23 days on primary and hadn't shown activity for at least a week.

Grains:
10.5# Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.5# British Crystal Malt
.44# Dextrin Malt
.31# Chocolate Malt

Edit:
.75# DME

Mash for 90 min starting at 154F and ending at 153F.
Fermented starting around 66F and slowly raising to 68F over 3-4 days. After the first 5 days I let it come to ambient temperature in my basement around 70-71F.

Have I got a bunch of bottle bombs cooking in the basement? Should I have given it more time after I took the gravity reading? Is a low attenuation beer consistent with this style? Am I a noob?

I guess I could have racked it to secondary if it weren't being used as a primary.

Seems good to me. Most fermentations are done in 14 days. You raised the temperature and if there was any sugar remaining it should have done something at that time. If you did not see a change then it was fully attenuated.

Back