High FG Gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoffer

Reaction score
I just brewed my first Porter a few weeks ago, and I'm just looking for some advice on it.
It is a OBK Pumpkin Pie Porter extract: 9lbs dark LME, 1 lbs chocolate malt specialty grain, 1 lbs lactose , 1 Oz columbus and US-05 dry ale yeast.

My OG came in at 1.072, and I had it fermenting for a week at 64-66'f. I thought it was sitting too cold so I moved it out of the basement and it's now been at 68'f for 2 weeks.

I had no activity in my airlock last week so I took a reading and got 1.028. I closed it up and I must have roused it getting a sample because my airlock came alive again. I just checked it again because airlock was quiet and I'm sitting at 1.026. Again airlock came alive after closing it up. Should I let it sit longer? And should I rouse my fermenter to wake the yeast up? I thought maybe from the cold original temp the yeast aren't as active as they should be..

Thanks!

It's very likely done, with a lb of lactose which is completely non-fermentable plus a fair amount of dark roasted malts in the chocolate and dark extract 1.026 sounds about right.

It's very likely done, with a lb of lactose which is completely non-fermentable plus a fair amount of dark roasted malts in the chocolate and dark extract 1.026 sounds about right.

I agree. 9 lb of dark LME is going to finish in the 1.020s. You're probably getting airlock activity from CO2 coming out of suspension in the beer. It's probably not fermentation.

It's still a nice hefty porter. It should have good body to it.

In the future if you want a good low attenuating porter use light DME (or LME) and steeping grains such as chocolate malt and roasted barley and some crystal 120. You'll get a lower FG and it will be a good porter.

Back