High FG for a Blonde Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_d_

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first Post:)!
My first home brew ever is a Golden Ale. I'm worried that I only got like 50% attenuation.

Heres my story:
  1. The recipe called for 6 lbs Pale LME and I steeped 1lb of crystal malts.
  2. Being a newbie, I used a rehydrated package of dry ale yeast (11.5g).
  3. The fermenter was kept in a closet that fluctuated from 65-75 (usually
    low with one-two hot days).
  4. It started to bubble within 12 hours and kept strong for a few days.
  5. I left it a week in the primary and took a sample when I racked to secondary, the OG was 1.045 and the FG was 1.022.

Does FG of 1.022 sound really high? Is there anything I can do this late in the game?

Thanks,

_d_

That's a bit high. Let it sit for another week and then check the gravity again

Thanks!

Is it common to experience additional fermentation once in the secondary, or did I rack this too early?

Well i guess ill be the first to tell u that secondary is soooooo yesterday. Many of us have found that it is much easier to just keep it in primary for 3 to 4 weeks (longer for high gravity).

But anyway... before you rack it to secondary you want to check the gravity 3 days in a row and make sure that the gravity hasnt changed. That way you know the yeast is done. THEN rack it to secondary. Sometimes even when the yeast is done you can still get a little fermentation just from stirring the yeast up while racking. If you racked before the yeast was done fermenting then you may have some issues if you have very limited headspace in the fermenter. USE A BLOWOFF HOSE or else you will have a huge mess on your hands. With a gravity of 1022 it sounds like you racked too soon. It will be fine as long as u use a blowoff hose. And of course RDWHAHB

Back