High FG (Could it be lactose?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
Im brewing an Orange Creamsicle ale from Austin Homebrew. And I have a (so far) FG that is 1.022.

The recipe is:
1/2 pound Maize
1/2 pound 2-Row
1/2 Pound Crystal 10L
1/4 Pound Briess Caraplis
7 pounds of Pale Liquid Extract
1 pound of Lactose

Used a Cream Ale Blend Yeast and made a starter prior to making this batch.

Stayed in Primary for 7 days, and then transferred to secondary. Beer has been kept at about 66-68 degrees. Took Gravity rating before I moved the beer and it was 1.022, and now 4 days later its 1.022 again. Recipe calls for a FG of about 1.017 range.

Im assuming that Austin Homebrew's 1.017 would account for Lactose... So im just curious as to why mine stopped, and whether or not that seems TOO high. My OG was at 1.064, recipe said OG should be about 1.062, so thats pretty accurate.

I swirled the yeast around today (gently), hoping it might get a little activity going.

Just going to wait it out most likely, but I wanted some feedback from the beer gods. :)

Was the lactose an item the kit included, or and additional option? If an option I assume that is why the difference. When I did a Pale Ale there was a sugar "kicker" option that I chose, the instructions listed OG, an FG without considering the option. Since Lactose doesn't ferment, I'm assuming your ready to bottle. You could call AHS, just to confirm.

i did a chocolate milk stout that finished at 1.022, and it also had a pound of lactose in it. your beer is probably done fermenting, but you should make sure the gravity is stable by using a hydrometer first

Was the lactose an item the kit included, or and additional option? If an option I assume that is why the difference. When I did a Pale Ale there was a sugar "kicker" option that I chose, the instructions listed OG, an FG without considering the option. Since Lactose doesn't ferment, I'm assuming your ready to bottle. You could call AHS, just to confirm.

It was an orange cream ale, im assuming that it was to include lactose as an ingredient. There wasn't an option not to include it, as the kit came with it and required it in the recipe.

Lots of times extract beers finish higher than desired, ~1.020 seems to be where many stop. Out of curiosity, why would you move the beer off the yeast cake before you reached the desired FG? You need those yeasts to finish the job if there's still a job to be finished.

^^ Yeah, you moved it before you knew whether it was done or not.

But in any case, you are fine. I've done the odd batch that finished high, even "crazy" high, and it still came out good. Maybe not best, but you will have good beer.

Factors influencing FG:
- fermentablility of wort;
- big healthy yeast;
- oxygenation;
- temperature;
- time;
- the whims of the beer gods.

Cheers!

Lots of times extract beers finish higher than desired, ~1.020 seems to be where many stop. Out of curiosity, why would you move the beer off the yeast cake before you reached the desired FG? You need those yeasts to finish the job if there's still a job to be finished.

Was just following the instructions this time around. From what I was told, transferring to the secondary can help re-suspend some of the yeast and cause a little more fermentation, to the same logic that a little swirl can do the same.

My little experience brewing (all extract). Ive never had fermentation go beyond about 5 or 6 days. They are usually done by then, with the exception of a couple points fluctuation.

Was just following the instructions this time around. From what I was told, transferring to the secondary can help re-suspend some of the yeast and cause a little more fermentation, to the same logic that a little swirl can do the same.

Not sure where you heard that, but it's wrong.

My little experience brewing (all extract). Ive never had fermentation go beyond about 5 or 6 days. They are usually done by then, with the exception of a couple points fluctuation.

Yeah, fermentation will rarely last more than a few days. But that doesn't mean you want to rack as soon as its done. You want to make sure you have a stable FG over a few days anytime you're removing the beer from the bulk of the yeast, whether it's to go to secondary or go to bottle/keg. Those instructions that say to move the beer after 'x' days are plain wrong. Yeast don't work on our time (days, hours, etc), we work on their's. You should only move a beer after the yeast tell you they're done.

Not sure where you heard that, but it's wrong.

Yeah, fermentation will rarely last more than a few days. But that doesn't mean you want to rack as soon as its done. You want to make sure you have a stable FG over a few days anytime you're removing the beer from the bulk of the yeast, whether it's to go to secondary or go to bottle/keg. Those instructions that say to move the beer after 'x' days are plain wrong. Yeast don't work on our time (days, hours, etc), we work on their's. You should only move a beer after the yeast tell you they're done.

Good to know. Typically, ive let beers sit in a primary for a month (like my imperial stout). This one I think I just jumped the gun a little bit. So do you think the transfer caused it to lock at 1.022? Or the lactose?

Good to know. Typically, ive let beers sit in a primary for a month (like my imperial stout). This one I think I just jumped the gun a little bit. So do you think the transfer caused it to lock at 1.022? Or the lactose?

No, the transfer didn't stop the fermentation- there are literally hundreds of billions of yeast in suspension so racking it did not stall it.

I'd say that it's a combination of the extract, carapils, and lactose. If it's still at 1.022 in a few days, it's fine to bottle.

My guess is it's the lactose, extract or most likely a combo of those two. 1.022 isn't that far off your target, and it's a common spot for extract beers to finish up. Should still be a tasty brew.
In the future, make sure you hit your FG, or at least have it stable, before racking or packaging.

No, the transfer didn't stop the fermentation- there are literally hundreds of billions of yeast in suspension so racking it did not stall it.

I'd say that it's a combination of the extract, carapils, and lactose. If it's still at 1.022 in a few days, it's fine to bottle.

Typically, I don't brew this light of beers. But I think all my extract beers have stopped around 1.020. Thanks for the tips guys! Its still the same today, And ill check it tuesday to see where its at.

Typically, I don't brew this light of beers. But I think all my extract beers have stopped around 1.020. Thanks for the tips guys! Its still the same today, And ill check it tuesday to see where its at.

That's super common. Try adding the extract at flameout instead of in the boil. I've been doing that with the extract batches I do lately and it seems to help get the FG down to a better spot. It also results in a better end product, IMO, that when you boil all the extract for the full boil time.

That's super common. Try adding the extract at flameout instead of in the boil. I've been doing that with the extract batches I do lately and it seems to help get the FG down to a better spot. It also results in a better end product, IMO, that when you boil all the extract for the full boil time.

Ya and I was completely an idiot this time. Ive been really good at doing half/half boil with the extract. or most at the end. But I completely spaced and dropped the full 7 pounds in to start... doh!

If you google the "curse of 1.020" you'll see that it's very common for extract brews. The main thing to remember is that you made delicious, fresh beer yourself. Don't stress about it. What I would do is let it sit for a month. Don't look at it. Don't take a gravity reading. Don't even think about it. Try some delicious beers at a pub. Chat about or brew your next recipe. Then, in a month. Taste it. Pat yourself on the back that you brewed a delicious beer, then hide a bunch of them because you'll probably be so proud of it you'll give them all away.

Back