High ester yeast with low phenols?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a yeast with lots of estery fruit character but I'm not really a fan of beers with lots of phenol spice like flavors. I'm thinking of making a white ipa like beer similar but not exactly like chain breaker. I'd like to go with similar or more fruit character than chain breaker and less phenol if possible (yes I realize it's already pretty low on phenols or at least the citra hops cover them up pretty well). So does anyone have suggestions on yeast strains that have high esters and low phenols?The yeast doesn't necessarily have to be a Belgian yeast but my guess is that it will be because they tend to produce the most esters. Also if there is a fermentation temperature and pitching rate where phenols are minimal and there are still plenty of esters that info would be appreciated as well. I can keep the temperature within 1-2 degrees of my target temp with my setup and I have a 2l flask and stir plate so I'd really like to get everything pertaining to the yeast component of the beer really dialed in for the flavors I am going for. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As soon as it warms up around here I'm going to make a saison kit I bought and play with hop additions. Anyway it came with belle saison by danstar and as I was doing a lot of reading about hop additions I ended up reading about the yeast too since saisons get a lot of their flavor from the yeast. Anyway the belle saison apparently does quite well in the lower temperature ranges at producing the citrus and fruit flavors your wanting without the spice. It does more spice flavors in the 80's and 90's.

Here is a link to the thread about that yeast. Give it a read and see if temp control with that strain will give you what you're wanting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/new-danstar-belle-saison-dry-yeast-359806/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Fruity but not phenolic makes me think English strains. Belgians are commonly more phenolic than fruity. But maybe you want a hint phenolic? French Saison might fit that bill. Or you could try a mixed fermentation. Its hard to pinpoint what you're really looking for?

Wyeast 1318 - London III gets fruity above 70F. I've never had it get phenols.

I like it for stouts and ambers. It's a low attenuator, so keep that in mind when using it.

Wyeast 1318 - London III gets fruity above 70F. I've never had it get phenols.

I like it for stouts and ambers. It's a low attenuator, so keep that in mind when using it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Drinking a Boddington's clone that I used 1318 in as I sit here and read this. Fruity esters/no phenols seems like british yeast to me.

Ok so it sounds like an English yeast may be the way to go. I used to use Nottingham pretty frequently but also kept the temps a little lower and it was usually pretty clean. So maybe I need to try a fruitier strain and bump the temps up. I am often hesitant to go above 70 because I've had some beers with headache causing fusels when I fermented in the mid 70s before but I guess I just need to do it and keep it 70-71. I'm still open to other ideas though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Try London III at 70F. It will leave some fruitiness in the background and I've never had it get fusel on me.

Back