High-density polyethylene (#2) Bucket as a primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boochuckles

Reaction score
Can I use a 5 gallon High-density polyethylene bucket as a primary fermentor? I saw one at Lowe's that had a lid with it. I was hoping I could add an air lock and maybe a run off hose and go with one of these. I have been using the LBK with pretty good success so far. I have read that the ideal is supposed to be a #5. I want to move up to a 5 gallon fermentor but only have a limited space due to the fact I need to keep a fermentor in a mini fridge. The temperature in my house can get well over 80 if the AC is not running. So is a #2 plastic good to ferment in?

If it doesn't say "Food Safe", I wouldn't use it. Not sure what the numbers mean exactly.

HDPE is always food grade, but they might use dyes that are not. In addition, they are often using chemicals that help separating the newly molded buckets from the actual mold to speed up production and those chemicals are everything but food grade.

I wouldn't play around with this and only buy what I'm sure is safe. In the US Lowes keep white buckets they clearly name as being food grade. I think they are 5-6$ including the lid.

Back