High-alcohol wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I've bought some Gervin wine yeast (up to 21%) but naturally, there's more to it than that. Aside from measuring sugar properly and maintaining temperature, how can I ensure a high percentage?

I say continue adding sugar additions throughout fermentation. I would guess with the crazy amount of sugar going into the wine for a high alcohol %, the wine will be quite sweet.

I've heard of some people having issues with fermentation (wine) when they added all the sugar at the beginning of fermentation. That's why I suggest adding the sugar in additions throughout fermentation.

What ABV% are you tring to achieve? I believe your average wines are between 10-13%, and some people produce wines between 8-10%. I know you mentioned your yeast being able to produce an ABV% up to 21%. So whats your goal bro, is your goal in the 18-21% range?

If you're making something with that high of an ABV, I'd make sure it will have some residual sweetness to it, and throw in something to give it some body(port style or something?). That there is just plain ole rocket fuel and unless you balance it out I would think it will taste like it, but I agree with adding fermentables throughout the fermentation.

20% is all I have ever made. Sugar and yeast will get you to the 20% but won't make it drinkable. There are steps you can do to speed up the ageing process.

Here is a link when I made the last batch but I didn't use the extract and don't sit it outside but the rest it good.
>>CLICK<<

I say continue adding sugar additions throughout fermentation. I would guess with the crazy amount of sugar going into the wine for a high alcohol %, the wine will be quite sweet.

I've heard of some people having issues with fermentation (wine) when they added all the sugar at the beginning of fermentation. That's why I suggest adding the sugar in additions throughout fermentation.

What ABV% are you tring to achieve? I believe your average wines are between 10-13%, and some people produce wines between 8-10%. I know you mentioned your yeast being able to produce an ABV% up to 21%. So whats your goal bro, is your goal in the 18-21% range?

20%ish, i'm going for a "fruit liquor" to mix with lemonade rather than your standard strong white/red. Gonna use 100% fruit juice to make it.

For adding sugar through fermentation, when would be a good time to do this, rough idea of amounts? The yeast may deactivate if I leave it too long, and I'm guessing there's no point adding more and more yeast as fermentation goes on. Would adding enough for around 12% originally and then maybe 2 more stages afterwards suffice?

Back