High ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapmandew

Reaction score
I've noticed a few beers (besides barleywines) that have a very high alcohol by volume. One such beer is a Dogfish Head beer called Worldwide Stout, which is around 18% ABV. For beers like this, are they all brewed at some point with wine yeast to allow the alcohol content to be so high, or are there other methods to produce such a high yield with just brewers yeast?

Here's a link to the Dogfish Head beer:
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout

There are specific brewing yeast strains made for high alcohol beers.

What beer styles usually produce a high ABV? I think IPA's usually do.

Imperial IPAs, Imperial Stouts (imperial anythings really), and Barleywines come to mind right away. Belgian Tripples and Quadrupples can be pretty high also.

WLP099 High Gravity Ale yeast is a good choice for stuff that's going to finish above 14-16%ABV. Supposedly it's good up to 25% or more :eek: :drunk:, but requires some special handling to get there. I'm currently making up a large starter to re-pitch my 9/9/09 barleywine that quit on me at 1.060 (after starting at 1.165).

Back