Hibiscus Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorn

Reaction score
I brewed a version of the AHB Hibiscus Ginger saison last year but tweaked it to my personal tastes. I am getting ready to brew another batch this year and wanted some critiques on my recipe.

6.5 gal batch
OG: 1.055
TG: 1.008-010
IBUs: 29
SRM: 10(prior to hibiscus addition)

7# Belgian Pils
2# Belgian Wheat Malt
1# Caravienne
1# Amber candi syrup
1# Table sugar

1.75 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60 min
.5 oz Saaz @ 10 min
.5 oz Saaz @ 1min

Specialty ingredients:

.5# dried hibiscus petals

WLP565

Single infusion mash @ 145* until sugars are converted. Use 4oz of the hibiscus petals in the mash. Use the rest in secondary.

Ferment starts at 65* and ramps up until complete.

I plan on trying to perfect this recipe this year. Trying different yeast strains as well as possibly using something to make a sour version. What taste differences will I find using the different saison yeast strains?

how are you planning on adding the hibiscus? a half pound might be a bit much, though i suppose that depends on how forward you want the hibiscus to be...

in terms of yeast, i was able to get some interesting esters by fermenting the wyeast french saison yeast at around 80f.

Seems like a lot of sugar for a saison, most don't have any sugar. Also, I know you want this dry, but consider mashing a bit higher to keep some body (148-150).

Yeast change will have a big impact, both on flavor as well as potential attenuation.

Looks good, I always do a hibiscus wheat in the spring. I think I will give your recipe a try. Generally I use the hibiscus only in the secondary but I've read of some putting a solid fist-full in the boil for the last 5 - 10 minutes too. They bleed a lot of color out in the boil.
If you're looking for variant flavors, try a couple french and beligian strains by dividing your batch into a few smaller ones. See which you like best.

Back