Hey Y'all, talk to me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet T

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to purchase my first "kit"... but I may go out and buy everything I need myownself. Or maybe I'll drop the hints for Mother's Day! I like more expensive beer, I just can't wrap my lips around a coors lite, so I'm here to learn, and tickled pink that I've found such a large forum! If you've got tips for a beginner that you are bustin' to share, I'm all eyes:D and will be much appreciative!

I started out with a kit from Austin Homebrew Supply. They have 6.99 flat rate shipping. 20+ brews later, I am still using everything from that kit- plus a few additions :D
Lurk around, ask questions, make yourself at home! I have learned more from this forum than anywhere else. Oh, and read here:
http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Beyond that...I'd give the following.
#1. Get the best equipment you can get now...plan to upgrade no matter what you start with.
#2. Get a second kit...I assume you're thinking about the Brewers Best type kits....Get 2...You'll be glad you did.
#3. Don't freak out when you taste your first few samples...Yes it's bitter...Yes it's funky...and YES it will get better.
#4. NO you did not destroy 5 gallons of beer.
#5 Yes it does take the FULL 3 weeks for your bottles to carbonate.
#6 DO NOT Start with some totally off the wall "Onion and Carp" flavored beer that you have never liked in the first place and expect to like it just cause you made it. Pick something you already like.

My last bit of wisdom...don't wait too long to start your first batch of Apfelwein. Make it # 3 or 4 or 5

Again...Welcome!

Since you used an apostrophe, I can't figure out if you're an educated southerner, or fakin' it. I'm a CA native, so I use punctuation, even correctly some of the time.:D

A good basic brewing kit from any of the respected online homebrew retailers would be a great start to this hobby (obsession). As for ingredient kits, the Brewer's Best kits found at many shops, local and online. I think they have some really good instructions and are easy to follow, which is about the most important thing to learning to make beer, learning the process, and learning what's actually happening to your ingredients along the way.

I happen to have a good local homebrew I suggest you check there first, as it's good to be on good terms with someone who can answer questions, and supply things that you may have forgot to order, when you need these things in a hurry. If they don't make you feel too happy to be there though, don't waste your time and stick with the online sales. If the local shop has ingredient kits that look dusty or old, skip them too. Fresh ingredients make a difference.

If you do find a Carp and Onion beer kit I want to know about it, but I'd prefer Salmon and Capers.

As others have said, stick with kits in a style you like for the first few brews at the least. As you get a feel for what ingredients do in your brew, pick your favorite style and change one ingredient to see how it changes things.

After a few months of tinkering, and reading up on brewing, you'll be ready to create your very own recipie!

Welcome to the forum and the addiction!

From one new brewer to another...two quick tips

1. Purchase How to Brew by John Palmer, and read it. At the very least, read the instructional chapters on the brewing sequences three to sixteen times. ;)

2. Buy a 6.5 gallon glass primary in addition to your kit. You'll be able to watch and see whats going on during fermentation and will keep you from popping the lid on your bucket once or twice a day for 5-8 days until you think its ready. It will also give you the ability to have two brews going in primary at any one time (6.5 gal carboy & ferm bucket), that should keep you busy...there is a lot of time 'in between'.

Good luck!!
Parker:rockin:

Wow, some great advice! Sorry about the bumps, I've been lurking a little but very sick and am getting back to reality.

Back