Hey guys, I made a recipe and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Let me know if you have any suggestions or changes you think I should make.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roco pop

Reaction score
Malt that I have used has 240 to 300 EBU. Which is not lager style beer color and I have used M76 yeast...basically it has lager yeast ipa style malt ipa style hops

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240623_045205_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20240623_045205_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
I believe you meant EBC, not EBU?
Well, first you need a base malt to convert the starches into fermentable sugars. Aromatic malt by itself won't quite convert itself easily. Use either pale malt or pilsner malt, probably half the grain bill, but you can experiment with it

Second, lager beer color doesn't need to be pale yellow. Vienna lagers are amber, Schwarzbier is black, bocks are a wide range, Franconians are red, just to name a few.

Third, after you bottle it, let it sit out for 2 weeks to carbonate. Then let it sit in the fridge for 2 months to lager it.

I believe you meant EBC, not EBU?
Well, first you need a base malt to convert the starches into fermentable sugars. Aromatic malt by itself won't quite convert itself easily. Use either pale malt or pilsner malt, probably half the grain bill, but you can experiment with it

Second, lager beer color doesn't need to be pale yellow. Vienna lagers are amber, Schwarzbier is black, bocks are a wide range, Franconians are red, just to name a few.

Third, after you bottle it, let it sit out for 2 weeks to carbonate. Then let it sit in the fridge for 2 months to lager it.
Thank you buddy it was typing error it's EBC not EBU.
so you mean I must be using base malt like pale malt or pilsner malt in larger ratio than aromatic malt ( aromatic malts to use in smaller quantity) and that's the reason I was not getting proper original gravity reading of 1.055 because I used aromatic malt as a whole it got reading of 1.035 after boil which I have taken to 1.045 after adding sugar.

Oh God thanks buddy I thought malt is malt let choose aromatic crushed one to make great beer and to balance its aroma I added rice flakes. Well this shows my journey had just begun.

I am sharing some pictures of wort after 7 days I think primary fermentation has been finished but it's not crystal clear till now after adding whirfloc. I am just a beginner. And this is my first beer with my own first recipe.

Attachments

• 20240623_110942.jpg
    20240623_110942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240623_110948.jpg
    20240623_110948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Yea where’s the base malt or extract if partial mashing? The recipe you show won’t get you to the OG you’re estimating.
Yes you are correct brother I used aromatic malt as whole thinking malt is malt but recently I got know aromatic malts doesn't provide much sugar hence it reached only gravity of 1.035 and I make reached by 1.045 by adding sugar.
This is my first brewing experience and I created my own recipe. Now this beer that I brewed is a waste
Here it's how it looks during secondary fermentation

Attachments

• 20240623_110948.jpg
    20240623_110948.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240623_110942.jpg
    20240623_110942.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
@Roco pop check some tutorials e.g. before doing anything on your own.
It's better to be guided then lost at the beginning of the adventure.

Part of the process of becoming a better Brewer is doing a bunch of small batch single base malt single hop recipes so you know how it tastes. 2 row, pilsner, pale ale, Vienna, Munich and Marris Otter is a good start.

Secret hint - Marris Otter is a really cool base malt flavor and adds a lot of character especially to pale ales, brown ales and stouts. Munich and Vienna add a biscuit type flavor, Munich comes in light and dark...

Have fun and enjoy the brewing.

Back